Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S4S Hardwood supplier

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grund View Post
    What's the quality of their cabinet grade plywood, if you know? I bought some 1/2 oak for a cabinet project from Lowe's that was ok for what it's being used for, but going forward I would like to find a better quality ply. The stuff at Lowe's was full of voids and not nearly as true as I thought "cabinet grade" should be (though I knew most of that going in to it from reading online)
    Buying from an actual plywood/sheet goods supplier is generally going to give you access to higher quality material. The home centers specialize in "price", not quality. I buy sheet goods from Industrial Plywood out of Reading PA. They primarily carry domestic/North American sheet goods. I've had very little voids, the veneers are really good and the material is generally consistent in thickness, too. (about .47 for every sheet) Find a similar supplier in your area to do business with. Most will sell to "the small guy" and most will even deliver for free or a nominal charge if your order is at least a reasonable minimum.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I noticed that Home Depot will special order hardwood plywood made by a company called Columbia Forest Products. Does anyone know anything about this company?

I'm located near Santa Rosa Ca. So many of our Bay Area suppliers have closed up in the past 10 years, ouch. Patrick's suggestion of Ocooch Hardwoods worked out great!
    Mark

If you have a local supplier of hardwoods near you, that would be the first place I's check. In Northern Illinois, there are at least 2 hardwood supplier and they would both be able to plane wood to your specified thickness for a price, which may or may not be more that what you would pay online for wood planed to that thickness. As for cutting to width, that is something I'm sure these same suppliers would do, but again for a price.

If no suppliers nearby, try a Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menard's. These stores have recently begun selling planed hardwoods. While the prices are higher than you'd pay from a hardwood supplier, they aren't that bad and the wood seems to be decent if you take the time to sort through what is in stock. Again, width is something else. You'd have to rip it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I noticed that Home Depot will special order hardwood plywood made by a company called Columbia Forest Products. Does anyone know anything about this company?
    They are a North American manufacturer based in NC.

https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/products/
    --

I searched a while back and found 1 or 2 in reasonable distance but never followed up on it. I'll revisit and see what I can find.
    For some reason i was thinking reading wasn't all that far, I am only less than an hr from the pa line. So I pulled up the map, 4hr 55min- nope, too far! lol

Their Lewisburg location is closer, but you're still way out of range. Pennsytucky is a really "long" state east to west! I'm sure there are some similar firms closer to you...don't hesitate to ask at local cabinet shops who they buy material from. Worse case you may also be able to piggie-back on their orders. I did that a number of years ago before I got things figured out on my own.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by mark downing View Post
    I'm located near Santa Rosa Ca. So many of our Bay Area suppliers have closed up in the past 10 years, ouch. Patrick's suggestion of Ocooch Hardwoods worked out great!
    Mark
    Mark, great! If you don't mind, give us an update once you get the product. I'd be interested to hear how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grund View Post
    I searched a while back and found 1 or 2 in reasonable distance but never followed up on it. I'll revisit and see what I can find.
    For some reason i was thinking reading wasn't all that far, I am only less than an hr from the pa line. So I pulled up the map, 4hr 55min- nope, too far! lol
    Adam, check out Distributor Service Inc. I've bought from them a few times (plywood and laminate) and it was super easy, and the product was good quality. I'm only a hobbyist and they had no problem selling me small volumes. They have a warehouse in Solon, OH but they also deliver. When I purchased, I just drove a pickup in and the guys loaded it.

Though it would be a further drive for you, also check out Allegheny Plywood in Pittsburgh. I've also had good experiences with them.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 12-03-2018 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Adam, check out Distributor Service Inc. I've bought from them a few times (plywood and laminate) and it was super easy, and the product was good quality. I'm only a hobbyist and they had no problem selling me small volumes. They have a warehouse in Solon, OH but they also deliver. When I purchased, I just drove a pickup in and the guys loaded it.

Though it would be a further drive for you, also check out Allegheny Plywood in Pittsburgh. I've also had good experiences with them.
    Thanks so much!!
    Contacted DSI, I think I may buy a few sheets from them. They are only about 20 min from where I work.
    I contacted the brook park location of Alegheny Plywood, and the guy I spoke with said they are a wholesaler only and do not sell to the general public. Do you know if the Pittsburgh location is different? Pittsburgh is slightly less than hr and a half from me.

Sorry to keep this thread going sideways!