Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S4S Hardwood supplier

S4S Hardwood supplier

I am looking to buy some domestic and exotic hardwoods. I need pieces 3/8" x 7" x 24" The 3/8" and 7" dimensions are most important.
    Can anyone suggest a supplier?
    Thanks

Mark

The answer to your question seems too obvious. Perhaps I don't understand it. I'm not being sarcastic. Many people here are willing to help but you might get more help if you explain more about what you need. You can shop for yourself at Rockler or Woodcraft. On-line at places like Woodworkers Source, Bell Forest Products. Just search Google and take your pick. Green Valley offers custom sizes of domestic wood. I don't know whether they have exotics.

I hope this helps

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 11-29-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Wall Lumber sells thin woods..give them a call thye ship all over US
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Assuming you mean online suppliers. If you want it milled to exact size you’re going to pay a premium.

I've never purchased from them, but I've had this site bookmarked from when I've considered it: http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php

You probably aren't going to find anyone to get you exactly 7" width absent a custom order with a significant markup. Focus on finding 3/8" thick and then cutting to size.

What species and quantities are you looking for, mark ?

Quote Originally Posted by mark downing View Post
    I am looking to buy some domestic and exotic hardwoods. I need pieces 3/8" x 7" x 24" The 3/8" and 7" dimensions are most important.
    Can anyone suggest a supplier?
    Thanks
    And you might put your location in your profile. Someone may know a supplier within driving distance. There is one near Knoxville that has a huge inventory but I don't think they sell online. Not cheap, but when I want it it's there.

I doubt you can find those specific sizes but some dealers and nearly any shop can resaw, joint and plane/sand to your specs.

JKJ

Neither 7" width nor 3/8" thickness is all that common. You may need to buy common dimensions instead and get someone to machine the material to your specifications. If you were near me, I might be willing to do it for free if it wasn't too much.

Thanks everyone. My bandsaw is down and I don't own a planer so an online purchase seemed reasonable. There's an old American Woodworker article describing simple jewelry boxes, perfect for holiday gifts. That's the reference to 3/8" stock.
    I will try the suppliers suggested, again many thanks.

Blog Entries
    We don't know where you are located, but there are three hardwood suppliers in the Houston area.

Baird brothers in Ohio sells S4S in a lot of species. 3/4 and up. I think they can do custom cuts but they charge a set up fee and it’s not cheap.

I’ve bought a handful of S4S boards from them and it’s been quality lumber and packaged very nicely. You have to pay attention to the dimensions though. Some they have in stock ready to ship. Other widths they charge a set up fee.

Unless you are wishing to make an exact duplicate of the boxes, they can be made with varying dimensions. I use a lot of smaller cutoff pieces - even mixing species for the tops.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Call your local hardwood suppliers. In my area some will demention to your spec for a fee, usually per BF. If you are near Pittsburgh try Brookside or Allegheny Mill Works.

mark, you might get someone on this forum to supply to your requirements if you would divulge species, quantities and your location.

What's the quality of their cabinet grade plywood, if you know? I bought some 1/2 oak for a cabinet project from Lowe's that was ok for what it's being used for, but going forward I would like to find a better quality ply. The stuff at Lowe's was full of voids and not nearly as true as I thought "cabinet grade" should be (though I knew most of that going in to it from reading online)