Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations for, joiner,planer, bandsaw

Hi Van, I'm in Minnesota. If that can be done, that would be great. Just not sure where to start so any help is appreciated. Who is Rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramey View Post
    Who is Rod?
    Rod Sheridan, see post #36. Again, being in the US I don't know how that would work but they may be able to get CSA approved machines for you.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, the motor will not have a UL approval, that's not a problem as the entire machine needs an approval, which if the motor meets requirements, isn't an issue.

In Canada Felder have the machines made to Canadian standards and are field inspected at the dealer, and an approval issued.

Regards, Rod.
    Hi Rod,
    I’m wondering if this means I can get my machine via a Canadian dealer since CSA is accepted here in the states ?

Since I’m leaning towards Laguna because of the CSA certification. Does anyone have input on their 12 inch jointer and 20 inch planer? The Powermatic 15 inch 209hh is certified as is their 8inch jointer both with Byrd cutter ( or whatever type they’re using right now ) and I’m wondering if the performance would be similar between the Powermatic and the Laguna as both planers look to be similar 4 post designs.

Jason not meaning to confuse this further but Grizzly has a bunch of tools that are CSA certified. 8'jointer ,15 planer and tablesaws as well as 17 and 19 bandsaws. I could never find what I wanted,GO636 bandsaw,20 inch industrial planer,5 h.p. or larger shaper etc. But a lot of the smaller serious hobby level stuff is.FWIW,Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Jason not meaning to confuse this further but Grizzly has a bunch of tools that are CSA certified. 8'jointer ,15 planer and tablesaws as well as 17 and 19 bandsaws. I could never find what I wanted,GO636 bandsaw,20 inch industrial planer,5 h.p. or larger shaper etc. But a lot of the smaller serious hobby level stuff is.FWIW,Mike.
    Hi Mike, thanks , I did see a few of the CSA approved Grizzly machines when I did a CSA search. I’m having the same problem, I would love to find a 12 inch jointer with shelix or similar with CSA approval for the entire unit. I’m seriously considering the Laguna route as the days go by but 8 have recently contacted a Cantek dealer to see if they may be able to pull something off. If any dealers are reading this thread and may be able to help, I’m all ears and ready to purchase immediately.

Jason look up Ackhurst machinery they are Cantek dealers in Canada,those machines are CSA certified on this side of the border. I am looking at one of their shapers and a 20'' planer. Ackhurst is in Edmonton Alberta and in B.C. somewhere in the Vancouver area.

Jason look up Ackhurst machinery they are Cantek dealers in Canada,those machines are CSA certified on this side of the border. I am looking at one of their shapers and a 20'' planer. Ackhurst is in Edmonton Alberta and in B.C. somewhere in the Vancouver area.
    Thanks Mike! That should mean that there are at least a few here in the states that can be bought before heading to Canada. If I could buy everything from them, my problems would be solved . Going to call them tomorrow as I like the looks of just 20 inch planet as well as the 20inch jointer. I’ve looked at the bandsaws but have no idea what to compare them to as far as quality .

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramey View Post
    Hi Rod,
    I’m wondering if this means I can get my machine via a Canadian dealer since CSA is accepted here in the states ?
    Hi Jason, are you sure that CSA is acceptable in the US? I was responsible for certification at an electrical equipment manufacturer and the requirements were very different in both countries.

UL is not acceptable in Canada, CUL or ULC is for example.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Jason, are you sure that CSA is acceptable in the US? I was responsible for certification at an electrical equipment manufacturer and the requirements were very different in both countries.

UL is not acceptable in Canada, CUL or ULC is for example.........Rod.
    Good question, I’m a bit confused about the entire process. However, I did find some Minnesota based inspectors who can come in and inspect the machine as we need a 3rd party here in Minnesota. From what I understand, I,m not sure if they will even give it CSA approval but they will give it the equivalent.This means that I can go with the Felder ad 941 and the FB 610 ( I hope). I was looking at Vega edge sanders but found that Grizzly actually has a fully approved oscillating sander that has excellent reviews so that may be a possibility.

Hi all ,
    After all of the input, I think I’ve narrowed it down on the jointer and planer choices.
    Here is what I’ve been looking at.
    If anyone has input regarding the following 4 planers that would be great. My choices are mostly based on price and reviews

Grizzly 0454 20 inch planer with helical cutter
    Cantek 2o inch planer with helical head
    Oliver 16 inch planer with helical head
    Powermatic 20 inch planer with helical head

The Powermatic is affordable but will it be better than the Grizzly?

Jointers
    Grizzly 12 inch with helical head ( not the z model)
    Oliver 12 inch with helical head
    Cantek 12 inch with helical head

I am also budgeting 900.00 for each machine for CSA inspection. The Cantek machines already meet the standards and come with a sticker.the grizzly 12 inch also meets CSA standards. I’m not worried about matching machines. Not sure what combo to go with. I haven’t seen much info on the Oliver machines.
    I was leaning heavily towards the ad-941 convo machine but the CSA inspection put this out of my budget range.

Jason I have experience with the Cantek jointer. One of my friends owned one,it was a very solid machine. The one he had still had the straight knife cutterhead,I think they are the same machine now except the spiral head. It was this machine that I tried to buy after he sold it to another guy. I would lean towards the Cantek personally. YMMV, Mike.

Thanks Mike, they seem like a great deal . Do you know if anyone with experience with the Cantek 12 inch jointer? I’m thinking it would be of the same quality but not sure . That and the grizzly are both CSA approved but the grizzly is about 2300 less.

Jason, be sure you are informed about actual availability of the specific tools you are considering. Supply chain has been "interesting" as of late because of production realities for some brands of tools. Some tools have long lead times, in other words, and if you want/need to get the shop put together by a particular date, availability is a material part of the shopping task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jason, be sure you are informed about actual availability of the specific tools you are considering. Supply chain has been "interesting" as of late because of production realities for some brands of tools. Some tools have long lead times, in other words, and if you want/need to get the shop put together by a particular date, availability is a material part of the shopping task.
    Good point regarding supply chain issues. I have finally placed orders for the following items and the bandsaw and planer have a 4 month wait which actually works out since we won’t have new electrical until may. The Grizzly items have 7-10 day waits.

Here’s what I have ordered so far, I had to compromise a bit to get what I wanted but I think it will be a nice setup when finished.

SCM Nova 20” s520 planer with Tersa head
    SCM s500p bandsaw
    Grizzly 3hp oscillating sander G0564
    Grizzly G0609x planer with helical head ( ordering next week)
    Nova voyager drill press ( has already arrived and I love it so far
    Powermatic 3520c lathe with many accessories and mobile lift,rock,and roll base

Still need to decide on Miter Saw, currently have 12 inch Dewalt
    Looking at the Festool Kapex (top of budget) or the Bosch 12” slider and use extra money for a dedicated dust collector / Fein vacuum

Still need to decide on Router Table, $2000 budget for that but not sure where to start....
    Also ordering a few Festool dust collectors, and track saw, another domino, a few sanders, and 8-10 workbenches ( have been looking at the Rockler benches for around 600 each