Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations for, joiner,planer, bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jason, what are you planning for dust control?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    This question is as important as the above electrical questions.
    USMC '97-'01

Thanks for the input Van, I will take a look at your suggestions.

Hello Adam,
    Luckily we already have a large industrial dust collection system in place. I’m happy I don’t need to mess with that😀

Hello Jason
    Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but what exactly are you going to produce? You said... “We are a small shop that will see moderate to heavy use”. Sounds like you are running a business? You are getting a ton of recommendations for machines but I am not sure what exactly they are for? A luthier is going to have totally different shop/equipment than that of a cabinetmaker or a cutting board maker? Again sorry if I missed that part.

My advice would be to buy as much stuff as possible used. If you make a "mistake" and purchase a machine that does not get used or is not quite good or big enough it is far easier to sell and recoup most of your money. Now you re-invest in the direction you have the need. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Hello Jason
    Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post, but what exactly are you going to produce? You said... “We are a small shop that will see moderate to heavy use”. Sounds like you are running a business? You are getting a ton of recommendations for machines but I am not sure what exactly they are for? A luthier is going to have totally different shop/equipment than that of a cabinetmaker or a cutting board maker? Again sorry if I missed that part.
    Hello John,
    We are actually a university shop used by students. My background is in furniture design/woodworking but I am not going to be able to teach as much as I would in a traditional wood program. The last two places I worked had a mix of General,Powermatic, Agazzani,Felder. I am mostly trying to find the sweet spot as to what I think will last us for many years and hold up to occasional student abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    My advice would be to buy as much stuff as possible used. If you make a "mistake" and purchase a machine that does not get used or is not quite good or big enough it is far easier to sell and recoup most of your money. Now you re-invest in the direction you have the need. Mike.
    Hi Mike, thanks for the input. I really wish we could buy used equipment, I always consider that a first option for my own shop but my employer requires new purchases only.

Hi all,
    I think I'm sold on the SMC sp5000 as the band saw option, I love the price!
    I am now looking at jointer/planer combos and just got a quote for the Minimax FS41 ES. I have been looking at the Felder AD 941 as well but haven't received an email back at this point. Does anyone have experience with the Minimax Fs41?

I got one this summer Jason and find it great to use. Easy transition between jointer and planer. Returns to zero. Good dust collection and heavy and stable. The tersa head is great too for easy knife changes and cut quality.

I bought a FS41 last year. The changeover isn't bad but with the American style guard it is a bit of a pain to move it out of the way so the second table doesn't crush it when moving back to the jointer. It also feels a bit flimsy; but it works. I think it is more there so that the requirement to have a guard is met than to function as a guard. The rest of the machine is solid, and it's a joy to use.

Many of us have replaced the "pork chop" guard on the SCM/Minimax J/P-s with a proper EURO/Bridge Guard.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Many of us have replaced the "pork chop" guard on the SCM/Minimax J/P-s with a proper EURO/Bridge Guard.
    I've considered it, but my porkchop is still working. It does looks like the euro guard swings more easily out of the way when switching the machine over.

In a school setting, I don't think you would want to have the euro guard which doesn't OSHA requirements. Similarly, the American guard doesn't meet European requirements.

Hello all. How does the Felder ad 941 compare to the Minimax fs41? I just tot a quote for the Felder and the price is much less than the minimax.its really tempting at the price they quoted

So I just talked to the electrician and have a question. He saw that the Felder ad 941 is made in Austria and he asked if it is UL listed. He says that we cannot install it if it isn’t UL listed. Does anyone here have experience with this? The images of the motor do not say UL listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramey View Post
    Hi all,
    I think I'm sold on the SMC sp5000 as the band saw option, I love the price!
    I am now looking at jointer/planer combos and just got a quote for the Minimax FS41 ES. I have been looking at the Felder AD 941 as well but haven't received an email back at this point. Does anyone have experience with the Minimax Fs41?
    Are you sure you want a combo j/p machine? I'd go with separates if you're putting together a student workshop. If someone's using the machine for planing, then they're also tying up the jointer... you'll have a lot of people waiting around for their turn. I've spent time in shared workshops and when shop time is limited you want to be as efficient as possible.