Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for recommendations for, joiner,planer, bandsaw

Looking for recommendations for, joiner,planer, bandsaw

Hello all,
    I am in the market for an 18 inch bandsaw, 15or20 inch planer, and 12 inch joiner. My inclination is to go with all Powermatic as this is what I am accustomed to using in the shops I’ve managed.However.... I’m looking for recommendations for alternatives to Powermatic as I can use the remaining money elsewhere in the shop. I have done much research on Grizzly and currently have a 14 inch extreme that has been problem free for two years but if others can recommend alternatives that would be great. All tools must be 3 phase.

Side note: also getting a drill press and lathe but I’m pretty sure I’m going with the Powermatic drill press and the 3520 lathe but not worried about the other tools matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramey View Post
    . All tools must be 3 phase.
    Is this accurate? If so your choices will be extremely limited with smaller "hobby" sized machines.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

how about a big combo jointer/planer?

Hello Van. Good question. Right now the building folks say we only have 208 service which I think can only handle 3 phase. There is the possibility of upgrading the entire panel ( which I am trying to avoid unless we can get it done at a reasonable price). I am meeting with them on Tuesday to see what they say the cost may be, so we may be able to go somethin* other than 3 phase.

Hello Van. Good question. Right now the building folks say we only have 208 service which I think can only handle 3 phase. There is the possibility of upgrading the entire panel ( which I am trying to avoid unless we can get it done at a reasonable price). I am meeting with them on Tuesday to see what they say the cost may be, so we may be able to go somethin* other than 3 phase.
    I think you need t work that out before bothering with recommendations for machines. I don't think anyone makes a 15" 3ph planer. The number of 17-19" bandsaws is pretty limited. The PM2800 and most (all) woodworking drill presses are single phase as is the 3520 if I am not mistaken.

Edit: budgets for the machines will really be helpful too.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hi, if you have 3 phase 208V, you also have single phase 208V, and 120V single phase.

If you want 3 phase machines however any of the Euro makers would be please to sell you a 16 or 20 inch 3 phase jointer planer

Same for the band saw................Look at Felder and Mini-Max...............Regards, Rod.

Jointer- Martin
    Planer- Martin
    Bandsaw-Northfield

You could pull that off new for about $80k.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    budgets for the machines will really be helpful too.
    This is the first piece of information that needs to be exposed.

The second thing is use. The needs of the hobbyist are far different than somebody paying the mortgage with their tools.

Me personally, I won't spend money on anything powermatic, it's far too expensive.

Your assumption that all tools must be 3-phase isn't correct, as Rod mentioned. If you are going to be making equipment purchases of that magnitude, you need to do some more research on power applications first.

I didn't recognize the OPs name at first but he has a thread moved to the workshop forum on his power which I haven't followed since it was moved. He may indeed only have 3ph outlets at this time but all this hinges on what he can and is willing to do with his power situation. There is no point going through the process of recommending machines based on a 3ph limitation until the power situation is sorted.

Get the power situation figured out then bump the thread with budgets for the machines.

If you have three phase available, you can buy really good used stuff for less than hobby level PM. Just takes a little homework. Dave

Hello all. I will get the electrical issues sorted with them and then report back.

Hello all.
    Found out today that our entire panel will be upgraded which means there will be no limitations on machines. Below are the machines I’m looking to buy and approximate budget for each. These tools will be used in a shop setting with moderate and sometimes heave use. We are a small shop so I’m also open to a combo machine for the jointer and planer as someone mentioned that we should take a look at these as an option. I am certainly willing to go much lower on any of the above as the money can be spent elsewhere .
    Any suggestions are appreciated

Drill press 1650.00 leaning towards the Powermatic but would consider others
    18 inch bandsaw 6000.00
    20 inch planer. 5300.00
    12 inch jointer 6500-7200
    Combo disc/belt sander 1700.00
    Lathe 5500, leaning towards the Powermatic 3520b
    Drum Sander 3000.00 , currently have the Supermax 19/38 and love it but have looked at the Powermatic and not sure if it’s worth the price difference over the Supermax.
    Router Table 1800.00
    Spindle sander 1500.00

First, especially given your access to 3ph power you are going to get a lot of buy used, which I agree with, your budget allows for some really nice used machines. I will however give you some suggestions of what I would buy new in the budget ranges.

DP Nova Voyager
    Bandsaw SCM/Formula S500P (MM20) and pick up a used 14" saw as well
    For the jointer and planer I would actually get a Felder AD941 vs Asian separates
    I wouldn't buy a combo sander I would use that money and the spindle sander money to get an oscillating edge sander probably a Vega which allows you to do large curved sanding better than a spindle sander then one of the small tabletop oil bath spindle sanders like the Jet to Rikon for the small stuff
    The 3520c is a well-respected lathe but it is best to take that portion of the budget to the turners forum but legitimate options both above and below the budget are Grizzly, Laguna, Oneway and Robust keep in mind budget wise the lathe itself is just the tip of the iceberg
    If you are going to replace the drum sander with another drum sander the only big jump in quality is to a Woodmaster

I can tell your budgets revolve around Powermatic, nothing wrong with most of the Powermatic line but there tend to be better options at most of the price points often American or European made vs Asian.

Listen to Van. Except on the drum sander, don't get a drum sander. Get a used widebelt.

Drill press 1650.00 leaning towards the Powermatic but would consider others
    18 inch bandsaw 6000.00
    20 inch planer. 5300.00
    12 inch jointer 6500-7200
    Combo disc/belt sander 1700.00
    Lathe 5500, leaning towards the Powermatic 3520b
    Drum Sander 3000.00 , currently have the Supermax 19/38 and love it but have looked at the Powermatic and not sure if it’s worth the price difference over the Supermax.
    Router Table 1800.00
    Spindle sander 1500.00
    Jason, what are you planning for dust control?

Regards from Perth

Derek