Thread: Swapping rotary devices

Swapping rotary devices

So I'm still unpacking and setting up the new Chinese machine. Pretty happy with the build quality; the documentation is an altogether different matter. I'm wondering if I could use the rotary device from my Epilog in the new laser? The chuck-style rotary that came with the new laser has 4 wires whereas my Epilog rotary has 6 wires. No real instructions with any of this; I'm assuming everything connects to the Y-axis controller?

The wires likely go directly to a stepper motor. The most common flavors of stepper motors are 4, 6, and 8 wire. You can convert a 6 wire stepper motor to 4 wires (or with a little creativity, you can get a 6 to run off of 4 wires and still be able to reverse your changes quickly to run off of 6 wires when you change back to the original machine).

A little bit of internet searching for converting or running a 6 wire stepper motor off of 4 wires should get you the diagrams you're looking for.

Edit: I just realized I might have read this wrong. I don't know if you can convert a 4 wire stepper to a 6 wire (in fact, I don't think you can) if that's what you're needing to do. You can buy a different stepper motor and just switch out the motor. They come in standard mounting sizes, I'd guess you have a NEMA 23, but it could be a NEMA 17 or 34. They are pretty cheap and easy to change out.
    Last edited by Matt Schrum; 11-29-2018 at 5:52 PM.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

You can connect a 6 wire motor to a 4 wire drive, I believe you just leave out the center connection on each side. It would be pretty easy to make an adapter cable to allow you just plug/unplug the rotary device. One consideration would be the cost of a rotary for your fiber vs replacing the Epilog if you damage it or replacing the drive on your fiber... Do a google search for "convert 6 wire stepper to 4 wire" and you'll get tons of pictures. Whatever you do, don't unplug the rotary with the power on or you'll fry the drive for sure!

Blog Entries
    2468, be careful.... The motors are 2 phase and 3 phase (not voltage related, they should all be DC voltage). You can use 3 and 6 wire 2 phase machines, 4 wire are usually 3 phase. Just me, but I wouldn't take an epilog and destroy it.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others