Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another septic system question

Another septic system question

Starting this because I didn't want to tread on a previous septic thread.

Is it possible and legal, to install some sort of closed holding tank like a septic tank, and just have it pumped out when needed rather than do a whole system?

I have a cabin in the high desert, 5000 foot elevation, huge rocks 100'+ piled up in some areas. It was built in the 50's as a bare shell. I installed electricity in the 70's. We have had it 40 years, has alway had an outhouse until someone shot it up a few years ago. We just refurbished the cabin and want to put a bathroom in it.

It is seldom used, and it does not warrant spending more than the place is worth on a septic system, plus I need to install a new 1,000 gallon water tank, since the old one rusted out after only 60 years.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Only your local codes would apply. Those from other locales would not be accurate for your location. Most places you can call the health department and ask your question and get honest answers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

They do it around here on lots that aren't suitable for septic systems. It deceased the sale value dramatically, but that's probably not an issue for you.

Thats the way we had to do it for our lake cabin due to lot size and distance restrictions to wells and the lake.

That type of system does legally exist in many jurisdictions for use when there is "zero perk" or a lot too small to accommodate a proper mound or drain field or there are other mitigating factors such as the lake situation that Pat mentioned. You do need to ask the zoning/building code officer in the specific jurisdiction what's permitted for that location.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Is it possible and legal, to install some sort of closed holding tank like a septic tank, and just have it pumped out when needed rather than do a whole system?
    Around here, the county health department has the final say in septic systems design. I'd call them.

I've read the method you described was quite common in history, especially in towns and cities before sewer systems were used. They put in a sub basement under the house and used it till full. I don't think they had pumps so some more manual method must have been used to clean it out when full. (Or just move)

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Friends just built a real nice rental house between the state highway and Grand Traverse Bay in MI, too narrow for a septic ($5500/ week during the cherry festival). Holding tanks were permitted. Alarm on WiFi so they and their septic pumping company get an email when it is time to pump. I can't imagine any jurisdiction denying a permit if that is the only solution for modern plumbing. Of course there are incinerating toilets, but you still have to get rid of grey water and that is usually regulated as well.
    NOW you tell me...

Here in PA there are many vacation lots that were sold and then a few years later could not be built on for lack of room for proper septic. Our Septic rules and installations are mandated by state law, but enforced by local sewage enforcement officers, most of whom are horses' rear ends. They often demand things which are not required and otherwise have risen to the level of their incompetence. The sewage enforcement officer in my township is a rare exception. Actually a nice professional engineer. I was not required to put in any system and could have used the old system when I built my new house, but I insisted on a system that was larger than what was called for. When I explained it to the guy, he was silent for a minute and then complimented me for having the fore thought to accomodate future possible builds. For instance a crapper in the garage that hasn't been built yet. An extra bedroom should we ever convert the wifes' sewing room to a bedroom, etc. (I do have an old septic system still at the old house location and I might put a bathroom in the barn and hook it up to that old system. I would only have to run a soil pipe about 30 feet to intersect with the existing line to the old system.)

To the OP, the system you refer to is not permitted in some states. Whether permitted in your state, you will have to find out who administers that part of the law, whether the Health Dept, Dept of Environmental reswources, etc.

We have one at our summer cottage on the Delaware Bay. That is all you are allowed to install there now. I would say for vacation home use it is fine. I would never buy regular house with one.

Mine is 1500 gallons. We usually use paper plates and bring food with us to limit water use. Also we have a button on our shower that allows you to turn off the water while lathering up. Low flush toilet helps too.

NJ turned the whole process into a circus and it took 2 years for it to get done..............long story!

BTW, I would never buy any house with a septic system after what I have been through.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post

BTW, I would never buy any house with a septic system after what I have been through.
    That could be pretty limiting on where you could live if you had to move! There's no public sewer (or water) around here so on-site is the only option. Which reminds me...I need to schedule a maintenance pump-out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Many health departments have an option for a "tight tank" which is exactly what you outline. A solid tank, no outflow. Her you have to have a dual float alarm and a "contract" with a septic company.

There is nothing wrong with the solution as long as your local authority approves. It's actually a decent solution in that it makes the average wasteful individual use less water, waste less water, use dishwater to water flowers, and so on. When the average conscientious individual starts to quantify the true cost of what they run down the drain they typically become inherently more conscienscious i.e. Europe.

Youd be shocked how much the average individual can enjoy reducing when it becomes a challenge.

My early experience was with 'traditional' septic using a leach field. Required size of the field and lateral lines was determined by the planned facility (how many crappers). Learned this is called "anaerobic" system (no air), and processed via suitable anaerobic bacteria; was told these bacteria have poor efficiency (...30-40% IIRC). Hence the relatively large leach field.

Last home-build had soil with high clay content, so leach field was nixed by county authorities. Had to put in "aerobic" (air) system (different bacteria). It has 2 tanks: air vent in the lid and a motor-operated agitator in processing tank, then level switch triggering pump in 2nd holding tank. Pump feeds dedicated irrigation heads in the rear of property. VERY efficient bacteria = 'small' spray field = no odor. I was told the water is potable. I did not test this claim.

Though more expensive than a simple holding tank, the aerobic type sounds like it might be suitable to OP's rocky site...? And he IS in California .... where over-regulation is high art.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 11-29-2018 at 9:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That could be pretty limiting on where you could live if you had to move! There's no public sewer (or water) around here so on-site is the only option. Which reminds me...I need to schedule a maintenance pump-out.

It would be limiting yes..............................If you heard my story you still might disagree, but you would understand.

Thanks folks. I had never seen a closed system, but figured it must be used somewhere. Since the bathroom would be used maybe every few months, I certainly cannot justify anything more fancy. There is no bathroom at all right now, just a now filled hole in the ground where the out house was.

In the old days we used to stay there two weeks at a time, but since the outhouse got destroyed, not much anymore.

I will start with the building department in that area. It is actually in the same county that I live in, but over a hundred miles from home. I also found an ad for a septic company in the general area.

Thanks again for the starting ideas.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If you know or have a contact with an excavation company that does septic systems, they can give you the quick scoop on what is likely to pass. I talked to the guy who has done all out excavation for 25 years and he described the systems, knew the soil and subsoil I had and correctly predicted what I would need, how large and then allowed me to do most of the ground work, while he ran the machines. I saved about $3k on installation.