Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iGaging Micro Adjust Wheel Gauge

iGaging Micro Adjust Wheel Gauge

I just received an email from Popular Woodworking about this iGaging micro adjust wheel gauge. Looks like it's just released. No idea of the quality of the tool but iGaging makes decent tools, not top end tools but usable. The big advantage of this tool appears to be the price - $24.

Here's a link to the basic wheel gauge, and here's a link to wheel and mortise gauge.

I plan to order one of the wheel gauges to see what it's like. I teach hand cut dovetails and recommend to my students that they buy two marking gauges. If this is a decent product, it might be attractive to people starting out.

Just wanted to pass this info along.

Mike

WheelGaugeA.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That IS cheap! And if it works as advertised that would be great bang for the buck! However nothing I dont think could talk me out of my Jessem Wood Sabre!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It is about 1/2 the Veritas and 1/3 the price of the Titemark and 1/4 of the Jessem price. I used Veritas for years then bought a used Titemark from someone here because I wanted a third. I was nonplussed at how much more I like the Titemark compared to a Veritas, how could something so simple vary so much from two quality companies? I still have three Veritas but two Titemarks and they are what I grab first. I borrowed a friends Jessem and didn't bond with it, but I see how someone could like it.

All that said given two if not three marking gauges are very nice to have @ $25 each they could represent quite a value if made well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I agree with Van that, for me, the TiteMark is much nicer to use than the Veritas. The problem for students is that they have a lot of things to purchase. Just for dovetails, they need a good saw, some marking gauges, a marking knife and maybe a dovetail saddle square. If they go for a western dovetail saw they're facing $100, more or less depending on whether they go LV or LN. Then two marking gauges. If they go with the TiteMark, that's an additional almost $200, and for many students that's just too much.

I've been mentioning the Taylor Tools marking gauge to the students. While not the same quality as the TiteMark, they work fine. The cutter wheel on the Taylor tools is not as good as the TiteMark but the TiteMark cutter wheel ($10 for a replacement) fits the Taylor tools marking gauge.

If the iGaging marking gauge works well and has a decent cutter wheel, that could be a good marking gauge for someone starting out.

I have five TiteMark wheel gauges, two Veritas wheel gauges, and two Taylor Tools wheel gauges (with Titemark cutters). The students can use each of these and decide what works for them, and what they're willing to pay.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-29-2018 at 8:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I tend to try to forget the days I was a broke student, partly because when I think about it I wonder if I wasn't actually happier then... I remember making cut lists so tight I couldn't be a kerf width off and adding up every penny for sandpaper, finish, etc.

I have to admit I am happy with all my iGauging products, though they are all digital.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Guys,
    I have 2 veritas gauges. Can you describe why the titemarks are better or preferable please?
    Thank you!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-29-2018 at 9:48 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Guys,
    I have 2 veritas gauges. Can you describe why the titemarks are better or preferable please?
    Thank you!
    Fred
    I'll try to describe it in my view. The Titemark feels more substantial, which really is just a smile on the face thing. I find it is much easier to set and micro-adjust one-handed, which is important in the way I work. It locks down like a like a snapping turtle. I can move the Veritas no matter how much I crank on it, less of an issue with a few uses but if you have a pile of stuff to mark I have seen the Veritas slip. It also has a nylon grub screw to adjust the tightness of the "slide". Over time my Veritas have gotten looser which makes it harder to work with one handed.

The only issue I have found with the Titemark where I don't have an issue with the Veritas is the locking of the wheel. If I am using it left handed and pulling toward me or right handed pushing away I have had it start to rotate. I use a touch of purple Locktite to prevent it but not make it difficult to remove when I need to.

Don't get me wrong the Veritas is a nice tool and the Titemark is significantly more expensive and I do use my Veritas sometimes. On the ubiquitous good better best scale the Glen Drake is just the best I have used, the Lee Valley version falls to "better" on that scale.

Thanks Van!

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

iGauging products

​From amazon's web site:

It's more priceable to purchase the 34-708 with 3 wheels vs. the 34-707 with only one wheel. So, in essence, you only play $2.80 for the additional two wheels! I'm cheap, so I'll go for this!
    Ed

by iGaging
    iGaging 34-708 Wheel 3 in 1 Marking Gauge with 1/32nd & 1 mm scale & Mortise Gauge
    Price: $21.75 & FREE Shipping

by iGaging
    iGaging 34-707 Wheel Marking Gauge with 1/32nd & 1 mm scale
    4.0 out of 5 stars 197 customer reviews

| 10 answered questions
    Add to Droplist
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ed/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]Get the Best Deal
    Pice: $18.95 & FREE Shipping. Details
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ed/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Ed/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image005.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think the iGaging 34-708 is the same as the one I mentioned in the opening post. If you look at the picture on Amazon for the 34-708 it does not appear to have the adjustment barrel.

Here's a link to the iGaging 34-707 and that one looks different, also. The one I mentioned does not appear to be on Amazon yet.

Looks like the model number of the one I posted about is 34-322. The one with the tenon wheels is 34-320.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-30-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't think the iGaging 34-708 is the same as the one I mentioned in the opening post. If you look at the picture on Amazon for the 34-708 it does not appear to have the adjustment barrel.

Here's a link to the iGaging 34-707 and that one looks different, also. The one I mentioned does not appear to be on Amazon yet.

Looks like the model number of the one I posted about is 34-322. The one with the tenon wheels is 34-320.

Mike
    https://www.chipsfly.com/product/34-322.html

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Guys,
    Thank you!
    Fred
    Fred, it depends which Veritas gauges you have, and how you like to use gauges.

The two on the left are Tite-Mark, then there are two Veritas stainless steel non-fine adjustable gauges (these were anniversary models a few years ago), followed by the new adjustable Veritas (which has the same off-set head, adjuster at the end of the arm) ...

There is no doubt that the TM is the best adjustable model available. The new adjustable Veritas is great, but the TM allows you to fine adjust with one hand ...

The Veritas however is quicker to set board thicknesses, such as when marking for dovetails ...

In my opinion, I can get along very well without a fine adjuster 99% of the time. It is a simple matter to fine adjust with a squeeze of the finger tips. Keep in mind that vintage wooden gauges just do this by tapping on the bench top.

The offset fence on the Veritas also feels substantial ...

... I like it, but I have not felt something is missing with the smaller TM fences.

I also consider that gauges with digital settings are a total waste of space. I have never needed to set a gauge that way. I transfer dimensions from parts, not from a ruler.

With regard the integrity of tightening, I have never experienced an issue with any of the wheel gauges I have, and that includes the original Veritas version.

The design of marking gauges is something of an interest to me, bearing in mind that they are the life blood of hand tool work (transferring dimensions with gauges, and working to a cut line. I have built many gauges, some with lessons learned from Japanese cutting gauges, such as Kinshiro (the best of the best - no longer available). This is the reason I have many - it is not unusual to have a few on the go at the same time. The best tip with wheel gauges is to keep the cutters sharp. Simply rub the face side on a 1200 grit diamond stone. A few strokes is all that is needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 12-01-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks Derek!

The difference Derek and I see with the Veritas never moving to occasionally moving is almost certainly the disparity in handtool technique between the two of us. There is almost certainly some poor technique on my part compared to Derek.

I received the iGaging marking gauge today. It looks like the advertising picture and it comes with an extra cutting wheel and screw for the cutting wheel. The cutting wheel is sharp and does a good job of marking.

iGaging-Marking-Gauge-001.jpg

The interesting thing is how the adjustment works. See the mechanism in the next picture.

iGaging-Marking-Gauge-002.jpg

The surprising thing is that it's not a "turnbuckle" type adjustment - it only has threads on one side. The other side just turns in the head.

iGaging-Marking-Gauge-003.jpg

There's quite a bit of adjustment in the design.

So what did I think of it? In my opinion there's a weakness in the design. To adjust the gauge, you turn the adjusting sleeve, just like the TiteMark or the Taylor Tools units. But there's nothing to keep the head from turning as you make the adjustment. On the TiteMark and the Taylor Tools, there's a channel on the rod and the head has a plastic screw that rides in the channel and keeps it from turning.

While I could do an adjustment one handed, usually the head turned a bit while I was making the adjustment. [Edit] I went and played with it some more and I can make adjustments without the head turning.

If they would put a channel in the rod and have a plastic screw to keep the head from turning, I'd say it was a good, lower priced, replacement for the TiteMark or the Taylor Tools. Don't get me wrong, it's a good tool for the money but you have to understand what it is.
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-04-2018 at 12:15 PM.