Thread: Nail Polish vs Super Glue as a Threadlocker

Nail Polish vs Super Glue as a Threadlocker

Real loctite is expensive. So I tested nail polish and super glue.

I have a tool part I want to be able to adjust, but not vibrate loose. When I'm in doubt about any adhesive I like to test and record the results.

I used the cheap 4 pack of superglue I always have in the freezer. This is as strong as the expensive brand name cyanoacrylates I've tested. I used the white nail polish I have on hand to mark metal.

The nail polish took 10 minutes to dry hard on the exposed area of the bolt but was easy to twist loose. After 24 hours it was adequate as a threadlocker, but easier to twist loose than superglue.

Bottom line the superglue wins in this application. After 10 minutes it took a lot of force to loosen my test stove bolt. So much that on my tool part I used a toothpick to apply 1/4th the amount, just a tiny drop.

I hope this can help someone.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

What the nail polish is good for is to put a witness line on the bolt or nut on to the part it holds to show you if it has come loose. The painted line is broken and misaligned from when you painted it on. We used those witness marks on aircraft stuff a lot including tires on the rims. Different paint for that. I still prefer the Loctite or Permatex though.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how you feel Loctite is expensive. You only need a very small amount to do the job. Since it is anaerobic it will stay good for years in the tube right on your work bench. I have some that is over five years old. Neither super glue nor nail polish will last that long. You can buy small amounts at any of the big box stores or Wally World. The blue Loctite is for bolts and screws you may wish to adjust later. Red is for permanent locking. However any of them can be undone with heat above 200 F.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-29-2018 at 3:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm not sure how you feel Loctite is expensive. You only need a very small amount to do the job. Since it is anaerobic it will stay good for years in the tube right on your work bench. I have some that is over five years old. Neither super glue nor nail polish will last that long. You can buy small amounts at any of the big box stores or Wally World. The blue Loctite is for bolts and screws you may wish to adjust later. Red is for permanent locking. However any of them can be undone with heat above 200 F.
    Your right Lee. I'm frugal and the loctite threadlocker I had dried out faster than I thought it should for the money I paid. Testing alternative options is fun for me.
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I'm frugal and the loctite threadlocker I had dried out faster than I thought it should for the money I paid.
    If you kept it in the original container it should have kept for a good long time. Their containers allow the liquid to breathe, it only cures in the absence of oxygen. Note: Their glues are not the same as their thread lockers, but I've kept some of the adhesives in a fridge for several years as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I used the white nail polish I have on hand to mark metal.
    I take it you are a French tips kinda guy...

I usually keep several grades of thread locker around but will keep these in mind for the future if I find myself out.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I keep thread locker in fridge ,got some that's 10 or 15 years old.

Blog Entries
    I have a large bottle of Loctite red that I've had for well over 30 years & it still works a well as new. I don't really consider it a cost worth worrying about.

Penny wise pound foolish sorta thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I have a large bottle of Loctite red that I've had for well over 30 years & it still works a well as new. I don't really consider it a cost worth worrying about.
    I have a 2 or 3 oz bottle of blue Loctite from about 1978 that I'm still using. I am pretty sure I have a small bottle of red that's nearly as old. Both still work fine.

I get my super glue in the 10 packs at HF on sale. I get a couple of uses per tube then throw it away and open another one. That way I always have fresh glue on hand.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 11-29-2018 at 9:19 PM.

I learned something. Thanks for the replies. It's been a few years since I had the loctite threadlocker in the shop. In my memory it seemed to disappear or evaporate before I got to use it much. I also learned what french tips are!
    - Henry Ford