Thread: Twisted door

Twisted door

Hey guys I’ve got this build with arched double doors 40” tall.

Looked ok until I mounted the doors and one of them has a twist of about 1/4” (left door bottom center).

I know now it’s npbecause I forgot to check the doors after I clamped them up.

I can handle it with a latch or catch, but I’d like to get the twist out if I can.

I’ve checked the opening everything is good the problem is the upper rail/stile on the left side are not flat.

The panel is glued in so surgery is a bad option. I’ve thought about running a deep groove in both stiles and glueing in a spline, clamping to a flat surface.

Any suggestions?

AFE66D1C-3824-4BC9-B64A-1217968C785F.jpg
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 11-29-2018 at 7:59 AM.

You might try shimming the screw plate of the upper hinge. If it doesn't work it can be removed.

Mount a piece of steel on the inside of the doors (both so they match) to take out the twist...I had to do that in my buffet/hutch project awhile back myself. The alternative is...to build a new replacement door.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

not sure where your twist is but your doors should be mounted in a bit so it makes a reveal all the way around, cant tell from the photo if you made them flush or not

Plane the stile where it sticks out from other stile, until they are closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    You might try shimming the screw plate of the upper hinge. If it doesn't work it can be removed.
    I thought about that, but then the stile will not be flush with the frame. I think it would be hard to make up 1/4". And the door would still be twisted.

Mount a piece of steel on the inside of the doors (both so they match) to take out the twist...I had to do that in my buffet/hutch project awhile back myself. The alternative is...to build a new replacement door.
    That's a good idea. I checked the stiles prior to glue up and they are dead straight. I'm pretty certain the issue is at the top left where the arched rail joins the stile. There is a noticeable dip across the rail/stile joint when I check with a straight edge.

I'm going to remove the door today and figure out exactly where the issue is.

If it is at the joint, I think I could route a deep groove along cope joint on the inside joint and flex the door back to flat. If it solves the issue I could epoxy in a shim.

A little of this and a little of that will make it ok.

Put a little roundover on the doors and case.

Robert,
    Chairmakers bend things that dont line up applying heat with a heat gun. I have also used this technique to straigthen out twisted doors. Heat it so that it doesnt burn then overbend it. It takes some time but it does work.
    Good luck.

I did apply a little heat.

56528738807__0B24EF76-14FD-4291-A560-C4089C3F3ED3.jpg

After messing around with it for 2 hours, I just built another one.

All is well now

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I did apply a little heat.

56528738807__0B24EF76-14FD-4291-A560-C4089C3F3ED3.jpg

After messing around with it for 2 hours, I just built another one.

All is well now
    Best solution of all. You will be most happy in the long run. I have learned the most in life from the mistakes I have made, and corrected. Next time, you'll pay much closer attention to the flatness of your stock, and you'll be better off for it. That's how it's been for me. In my shop, the wood stove gets fed all the time.
    Jeff