Thread: Ridgid Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander

Ridgid Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander

I got this in a package deal a couple of years ago and have never used it.

I put the spindle sander on it and it ran fine. It also went on and came off easy. Not so with the belt sander though and it went on easy until it reached about halfway then it got royally stuck. It will neither move up or down and I have sprayed WD-40 down the shaft, also tried light prying with a wonder bar.

Any ideas on how to free this up?

Model # EB 4424 O

Thanks
    Ron

need some pictures

I've had one of those sanders for a bunch of years but don't remember how the drum differs from the belt.

Did you buy it from one of the big box stores? Home Depot, for example, will usually take back or exchange anything. Your's probably looks unused.

BTW, gentle prying with two bars at the same time on opposite sides will put less side force on the shaft and might let you remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin adams View Post
    need some pictures
    Times 2..........
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Check to see if the belt's 4 drive teeth are seated in the spindle slots. The spindle is what moves the belt up and down, so if it works for the drum it will oscillate the belt mechanism too.

I suppose the belt mech. could be stuck somehow - but that would make a huge racket and you'd surely know something was wrong immediately. It would also take a lot of resistance to accomplish that, and likely break the oscillator.

Can't see down into the hole on the drive roller well enough to tell, but it truly doesn't matter as it is definitely not down far enough and more importantly won't come off to see what the issue is. There is a slot on the opposite end that the bracket on the belt sander attachment has to go down into. It seized on the spindle at a point directly above that slot and the spindle moves freely up and down. I'm going to try holding the drive roller while turning the spindle to see if I can free it that way later today.

How do I post pictures here?

Posting photos

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    How do I post pictures here?
    Several ways. I use the "Insert Image" button above the message composition box:

post_photos.jpg

Choose "From Computer", find the photo on your computer, click "Upload File(s)"
    The forum software should resize photos if they are not too big. If too big, resize them before posting.

JKJ

Thank you for all of your advice! I was able to fix the problem a few minutes ago.

There is a small flat near the top of the spindle with a matching flat that sticks out inside the drive roller. Because the drum came off so easily I did not see or expect that when I put the belt sander on and apparently hit it just a bit off which is where it stuck. By holding the lower part of the spindle with a small pair of vise grips I was able to easily turn the drive roller slightly and it came right off.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Several ways. I use the "Insert Image" button above the message composition box:

post_photos.jpg

Choose "From Computer", find the photo on your computer, click "Upload File(s)"
    The forum software should resize photos if they are not too big. If too big, resize them before posting.

JKJ
    I do not have that tool bar, but think I found the problem. My paid subscription ran out in July. I have renewed it and will need to wait a day or so to see if that was what it was.
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 11-30-2018 at 2:28 AM. Reason: New info

Blog Entries
    The belt sander's large drum has teeth that match the shape on top of the collar at the base of the spindle but, that is only the last 3/8" or so. You say you are getting stuck half way. If the spindles go on and off OK the shaft is straight so something must be in the hole of the large drum, yes?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No, the problem was that it was out of line with the flat on the spindle shaft and it stuck there. Holding the base of the spindle and turning the drive roller freed it up and now that I know the two have to be aligned everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    No, the problem was that it was out of line with the flat on the spindle shaft and it stuck there. Holding the base of the spindle and turning the drive roller freed it up and now that I know the two have to be aligned everything is fine.
    Excellent! I think you will like that sander. I use mine a lot. I lucked into a deal on the sanding sleeves years ago when the local Home Depot was drastically reducing inventory to prepare for a complete remodel. They had the sleeves in 90% off bin! I bought all of them so I have a three-lifetime supply.

Its nice, but I've never used it. I have a larger Delta edge sander with the spindle attachment and hope the ridgid sells in my tool sale tomorrow.