Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I finally did it... Grizzly G1033X 20" planer....

Very nice Terry.

I can't believe how quiet your new planner is, my old 15" planner will wake up the dead. It's not to bad when I turn on the planner but as soon as the DC is turned on the siren effect increases the noise to a painful level and I make sure I have my hearing protection on before I hit the switch.

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I very much want to live in that shop.
    Come on over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Very nice Terry.

I can't believe how quiet your new planner is, my old 15" planner will wake up the dead. It's not to bad when I turn on the planner but as soon as the DC is turned on the siren effect increases the noise to a painful level and I make sure I have my hearing protection on before I hit the switch.

Congratulations!
    Hi Keith! I was very pleasantly surprised with the lack of noise. My old setup likely irritated people that lived a mile away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long ways down the road since the OP but I just pulled the trigger on one of these machines as well. Any updates from long term users? Holding up great?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    Long ways down the road since the OP but I just pulled the trigger on one of these machines as well. Any updates from long term users? Holding up great?
    The planer is an absolute beast. Performs perfectly. Zero issues.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    The planer is an absolute beast. Performs perfectly. Zero issues.
    I couldn't possibly ask for a better review! Thanks for the update Terry, the transition from dewalt lunchbox to this monster is going to be exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    Picked one up a few months back. No real complaints, nice upgrade from the little dewalt 735 'tank' it replaced. I didn't get it yet but the Rotocator that Grizzly sells would make life a bit easier dialing things in. The price was nearly $200 when I got the machine but looks to be about $100 now.

If you need it to be mobile, I'd suggest grabbing some 4" total lock casters off amazon and putting it on two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Works awesome. I initially had it on a Bora mobile base, but the casters felt a bit small and one wheel failed due to quality issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Picked one up a few months back. No real complaints, nice upgrade from the little dewalt 735 'tank' it replaced. I didn't get it yet but the Rotocator that Grizzly sells would make life a bit easier dialing things in. The price was nearly $200 when I got the machine but looks to be about $100 now.

If you need it to be mobile, I'd suggest grabbing some 4" total lock casters off amazon and putting it on two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Works awesome. I initially had it on a Bora mobile base, but the casters felt a bit small and one wheel failed due to quality issues.
    I ordered the rotocator as well, $108 I believe. I also ordered the bora mobile base but I'll keep in mind your comment about switching to the ply setup!

I've had mine for several years now and there was a few things I needed to finish. First was the pressure bar. It's a powder coated orange color. The part that actually touches the wood had what I could best call drips that were dried in place. The drips would leave marks on the wood. So I had to remove the powder coat from the bottom of the bar. Secondly there's two cut outs in the table for the bottom rollers. I run the rollers almost flush with the table and the edge of the machined opening was so sharp 9cut you sharp) it acted like a plane shaving the bottom of the wood. A dremel with a grinding stone tool the edge off. I just lowered the table as far as it went, then lowered the rollers, and finally put some cardboard between the roller and the table before chamfering the edge.

Over all I'm very happy with it. It's done everything I have wanted. It does take a little time to set up. The rotocator would work well but I used a dial gauge on a magnetic stand. Make notes on each set up as you will probably fine tune it down the road. As for power it's a beast. I often will feed boards in staggered side by side as fast as I can (while catching them as they come out) and it doesn't miss a beat.

Great addition to a great shop.