Thread: French Polish insight wanted

French Polish insight wanted

I’m trying my best to get reasonably good at this. I’ve had some success, but looking for some help on what might be going on with this piece. It’s curly maple. I sanded to 150, applied a transtint dye (diluted in water), sanded off with 220, repeated the dye, sanded off again with 220. Polish pad is linen stuffed with wool. Using Zinssar seal coat shellac.

As you can see in the light reflection the finish is grainy. Do you think it’s that I didn’t sand to a fine enough grit or just a poor job sanding (maybe I’m just seeing swirl from the ROS?). I did not do the pumice grain filling (thinking maple wouldn’t need it...maybe wrong on that), or something else?

I’ve had decent luck with maple on previous practice boards and the only difference was the dye/sanding part.
    Appreciate any input.

411D9A03-9C3D-442C-807D-0E1F1218C268.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 11-28-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Sand to 320 by hand with the grain. Never finish with ROS before French polishing. I use all cotton fabric and wadding for the rubber. Your staining procedure is too complicated as well. Stain once to the correct colour before polishing. Best to avoid grain raising products for staining. If you don't like solvent borne, use alcohol based. Cheers

Thank you Wayne!

That almost looks like the shellac might be roping. I might try padding pure alcohol to see if it will self level before sanding. You might also try to thin the sealcoat. I know some use it straight out of the can, but for my skill level, I find a thinner cut (1 - 1.5 lb cut) works better.
    Dan

Thanks Daniel. I’m afraid it’s too late to try the pure alcohol...next time. I’ve hand sanded to 320 and will give it another go tonight. Ditched the linen for cotton. I will try diluting the shellac a bit. Practice, practice, practice.....

Phil your really need to mix fresh shellac flakes if you want to polish. That stuff in the can takes too long to dry and never gets hard enough. It’s just not good enough.
    I buy my shellac from the shellac shack always good always fresh.
    https://www.shellacshack.com/
    Aj

You’re right ofcourse, Andrew. Thanks for the link.