Thread: Can anyone identify this plane??

Can anyone identify this plane??

I was at the thrift shop and saw this guy. Picked him up without really knowing anything about planes and havent been able to identify anything about him since. I havent found any identifying marks on it. 2 things I did see that seemed odd to me was the red paint and the 1 mounting screw in the frog.

Good luck everyone.
    Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images

No clue, don't much like the looks of the pressed lateral adjustment lever and the small depth wheel, but all that really matters is does it cut...?

Have the same exact type of plane...except mine is a #5 size.....Great Neck Tool Co......was from their "Corsair" line of tools. Mine is a C-5.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have the same exact type of plane...except mine is a #5 size.....Great Neck Tool Co......was from their "Corsair" line of tools. Mine is a C-5.
    Awesome. How do you know what number it is? The overall length? Or is it some mystery system?

Quote Originally Posted by Kory Cassel View Post
    No clue, don't much like the looks of the pressed lateral adjustment lever and the small depth wheel, but all that really matters is does it cut...?
    I dont really know if it cuts yet or not. I happened upon it by chance and dont have my bench built yet

Mine is 14" long, 2" wide iron. Yours looks to be a #4 size....
    IMAG0103.jpg
    This is from a newer version...when they were painted blue....and had better frogs
    Corsair C-4.jpg
    The Red ones were older. Great Neck used a "C" in front of the model numbers on the Corsair line. ....
    IMAG0102.jpg
    I think I have a few pictures of the red C-5 jack.....been using it as a scrub plane...
    IMG_6599 (640x480).jpg
    aka: Cyclops....8" radius camber on the iron...
    The #4 usually was around 9-10" long....

Steven, does that blade of Kyle's look to be laminated to you?

No..just the way the rust pattern from the frog...As far as I know, Great Neck didn't use laminated irons....

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Foster View Post
    Awesome. How do you know what number it is? The overall length? Or is it some mystery system?
    The #4 and #5 refer to Stanley's numbering system for their planes. Each company had their own system, but most people refer to plane sizes and types by the Stanley number out of convenience/habit regardless of the actual manufacturer. For example #3 and #4 are smoothing planes, #5 is a jack plane, #6 is a fore plane, #7 and #8 are jointers, etc. Patrick Leach's blood and gore site is probably the easiest place to learn about the various different Stanleys and their numbers.

Blog Entries
    Patrick Leach's blood and gore site is probably the easiest place to learn about the various different Stanleys and their numbers.
    Start here:

http://www.supertool.com

If you want to learn about various tools, subscribe to his monthly tools for sale list. Good information on tools, their history and use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Foster View Post
    The Stanley arbitrary model designations are the most frequent usage. Millers Falls planes are one example that are designated by their length. A no 4 smooth plane is 9" long give or take, the Millers Falls equivalent is the no 9. The bench planes are generally different in lengths and widths but not construction. Their USES are thereby determined by the most convenient size to do a particular job. So the 9" long no 4 is often called a smooth plane, a 14" long no 5 is called a jack plane, a 22" long no 7 is called a jointer. Those three the 4,5,and 7 are what is generally accepted as a set of bench planes. The smaller no 3 and wider and heavier no 4 1/2 are also categorized as smoothers. A very popular size at the moment is a 5 1/2 which is wider and heavier than a no 5. A no 6 is called a fore plane which is a somewhat archaic designation. No 6s are suffering in popularity at the moment. Wooden bench planes of the 4,5,and 7 USES are a traditional bench plane set. The wooden jack and jointer planes are usually a bit longer than the metal ones. The wooden planes, however, ARE different from one another in construction. They do not have the adjustable mouth opening of the metal planes, so they are designed for their specific uses, and they do work quite well if you happen to find any in really good shape. Most of the ones I see in local antique stores and flea markets in my area are broken.