Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is Glen Huey

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Huey View Post
    The rumors of my departure are overly exaggerated...
    Well, I believe that the only one that commented in this thread on your departure was me, and I was just repeating what you stated in the email sent out to subscribers that 360Woodworking was shutting down and you were stepping away from woodworking.

Glen you can also e-mail me via foleywoodworks.com

Speaking for myself, I would someday love to take some lessons from Glen and Chuck. I spoke with Chuck briefly at the St. Louis show. Always a pleasure to chat with them. I just don't get out of my squirrel cage much. Injury, Illness, etc. have taken a toll the last couple of years. Hence very little saw making.
    Glen,
    Would love to hear from you and have your email addy for future reference.
    Thank you,
    Ron
    P.S. A recent hard drive crash, to put it lightly, has left me with no contact info for anyone. The hard drive took that with it.
    Last edited by Ron Bontz; 03-16-2019 at 1:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Sorry to hear this..Glen is a very talented WWer originally from Ohio ..I've built several of his pieces and have couple of his books.
    I think there was a strange separation of people at Popular Woodworking magazine a few years ago..He was a regular contributing editor and his departure there ,along with others, was sudden and unexplained. I always admired his work and approach. If he is leaving WWing behind, it is a big loss for our craft....Very sorry to hear.

I just downloaded some project plans from Popular Woodworking and was amazed that I could pick Glen's projects by sight from a dozen on each page. I have built a number of his creations and have just been commissioned to build the Queen Anne Dressing Table - again. The first one is in a state historic site.

Glen and I corresponded for a while up until the 360 shut down. I was always amazed that he got back to me with an answer within minutes. I went through the PW site and downloaded all his plans, 'cause the quality is gone from that magazine and I wanted to make sure I had everything I wanted before it goes under. (their customer service is a joke - I called today about my password and they had no clue - the girl told me to call the number she was talking on!

I agree that Glen's move is a loss to us all.
    Last edited by carey mitchell; 08-30-2019 at 5:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carey mitchell View Post
    I have built a number of his creations and have just been commissioned to build the Queen Anne Dressing Table - again. The first one is in a state historic site.
    Hi Carey,
    Is this a paying commission or a freebie? If it's for profit, you might need to ask permission, and Glenn's permission might not be enough. Im guessing that PWW owns those plans, as Glenn was probably in their employ at the time they posted on the website.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and Im sure knock offs happen all the time. But it came to mind and I wanted to mention it.

I'd love to see pics of the item you made for the historic site. It must be quite nice.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred,

You raise an interesting question that had never occurred to me before (I don't expect I'll ever sell something I've built, so not a critical issue for me). I googled around a bit, and came across one site selling plans that is very explicit about the limits on what can be done using plans purchased from them: https://www.thewinfieldcollection.com/copyrights . They seem mostly concerned with not having their designs mass produced, and receiving appropriate credit in marketing materials.

I couldn't find anything similar on Popular Woodworking's web site, but it might be there - or maybe there is some language included in the plans themselves. Might be worthwhile for Carey to do a little digging.

Gary

Legalities somewhat aside, anybody producing detailed plans of classic furniture forms, and not expecting them to be occasionally reproduced by others for money, is completely delusional.

Good luck copyrighting a Queen Anne dining chair. I could buy these in varying levels of quality of execution from at least five sources ranging from single-man artisan workshops all the way up to fairly large volume producers, and all within an hour's drive of where I live.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 09-01-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi Carey,
    Is this a paying commission or a freebie? If it's for profit, you might need to ask permission, and Glenn's permission might not be enough. Im guessing that PWW owns those plans, as Glenn was probably in their employ at the time they posted on the website.

Not trying to rain on your parade, and Im sure knock offs happen all the time. But it came to mind and I wanted to mention it.

I'd love to see pics of the item you made for the historic site. It must be quite nice.

Fred

I just now ran across this - almost a year later, while wondering what had happened to Glen.

No, this will go to my son for their house. I don't see how any magazine could hope to prevent anyone from producing one-offs; I mean, the articles are published for the explicit purpose of people building the pieces. A couple of issues; first of all, how would they ever know if it were not publicized? Second, I made several changes in the design of the lowboy; overall, it looks similar, but I used walnut instead of mahogany, used burl veneer on the drawer fronts, cockbead moldings, and a couple of other differences. And then, how would it look for a magazine to go after a woodworker for doing what the magazine advocates? That would be a marketing disaster.

Just my thoughts

CM

I doubt one-offs or two-offs are much of a concern. Finding their exact design in Raymour & Flanigan or in a gallery they might have something to say.