Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Glen Huey

Where is Glen Huey

Does anyone know where Glen went after his last adventure with 360 woodworking? I would like to contact him or him contact me. Thanks in advance and Have a BLESSED DAY

Ron, I heard a couple of weeks ago he had moved back to Pennsylvania, setting up shop in a small picturesque tourist town named Jim Thorpe. He is less than an hour from me & is offering several classes in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Ron, I heard a couple of weeks ago he had moved back to Pennsylvania, setting up shop in a small picturesque tourist town named Jim Thorpe. He is less than an hour from me & is offering several classes in the near future.
    Chuck Bender has moved to Jim Thorpe, set up shop, and will be teaching classes, not Glen Huey.

I was a member of Glen's 360 woodworking site, and when I received the email that the site was shutting down, it indicated that Glen was stepping away from woodworking. No mention of what he was going to do instead or where he was going to be located.

You are correct. I was mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    Chuck Bender has moved to Jim Thorpe, set up shop, and will be teaching classes, not Glen Huey.

Thanks for the information.

Sorry to hear this..Glen is a very talented WWer originally from Ohio ..I've built several of his pieces and have couple of his books.
    I think there was a strange separation of people at Popular Woodworking magazine a few years ago..He was a regular contributing editor and his departure there ,along with others, was sudden and unexplained. I always admired his work and approach. If he is leaving WWing behind, it is a big loss for our craft....Very sorry to hear.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    You are correct. I was mistaken.
    Few people know about this: Chuck Bender has built hundreds of furniture pieces including tables, chairs, grandfather's clocks etc. No one at PW, now or past, has had furniture making business close to his. He is in the league of Philip Lowe and the like.

Simon

I see also that Glen was doing classes for "woodworking with Ron" in New Holland, Ohio...Classes were scheduled through Dec 2018...Perhaps no longer there too.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Few people know about this: Chuck Bender has built hundreds of furniture pieces including tables, chairs, grandfather's clocks etc. No one at PW, now or past, has had furniture making business close to his. He is in the league of Philip Lowe and the like.

Simon
    Indeed.

IIRC, Chuck Bender was a craftsman at the now defunct Irion Furniture company. Irion Furniture built some of the most outrageous 18th century reproduction furniture..

Interesting. I grew up in Lycoming county, PA, and Lou's lumber company was just up the road. My Dad who recently retired sells figured curly maple just like Irion. They compete for the same sources in the same area. My brother decided to pick up the mantle. Ever wonder how someone could score a fantastic URL like curlymaple.com? Be the first to start selling lumber on the internet back in 1996!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Indeed.

IIRC, Chuck Bender was a craftsman at the now defunct Irion Furniture company. Irion Furniture built some of the most outrageous 18th century reproduction furniture..
    Anyone who is interested in talking to Chuck, or seeing his hand skills, he is doing the Woodworking Shows in Jan. Baltimore. Very approachable. Not sure if Glen will be there, too (they used to be).

Many people claim themselves to be bespoke furniture makers after making a few dozen pieces by hand. When you compare their work to Chuck's, you will know how skillful Chuck is. He is younger than Paul Sellers, but he has probably produced five to six times more heirloom furniture pieces under his belt than Sellers.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 11-30-2018 at 1:44 PM.

First, Simon, thank you for all your kind words. To be mentioned in the same paragraph with Phil Lowe, and Paul Sellers (and yes, I'm younger than both), in a flatteringly comparative way is truly an honor. Both are tremendous craftsmen.

Robert, I did work at Irion Company and was in charge of case and chair production as well as making many of their one-off pieces before I left in 1991 (maybe I'm not younger than Phil or Paul now that I type that...). I was there from fairly early on in their history and I'm proud of the fact that I'm the one who got them to break out of their understated Chester County Queen Anne furniture mode when I pushed a couple of my customers toward a Philadelphia pie crust table – the first "formal" pieces with ball & claw feet made at the company back when Irion Company Furnituremakers was merely Louis A. Irion III, Cabinetmaker.

I'm not sure where Glen is these days, it's been an exceptionally busy time for me since I left 360 and I haven't had much of a chance to keep in touch with anyone. What I can tell you is, for the last 6 or 8 years at least, Glen has talked on and off about starting a restaurant in the Cincinnati area. So, if there's a new hot dog or breakfast joint in the West Chester, Ohio area you might just find Glen somewhere in the place (hopefully as something other than a customer).

And I'll be on tour again with The Woodworking Shows in 2019. I had so much fun in 2018, I had to do it again. Unless I get myself fired, I should be at all 13 of the shows again this year teaching a few of the skills I've learned and developed throughout my career. As always, if you can make it to any of the shows, please stop by my booth and introduce yourself. In the 10 years I've been doing the shows, I've found I enjoy meeting Lumberjocks, 'Netters, and Creekers nearly as much as I enjoy woodworking (possibly more).
    Last edited by Charles Bender; 12-05-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    Chuck Bender -
    acanthus.com
    Period Furniture Maker - Woodworking Mentor

The rumors of my departure are overly exaggerated. For the past months I have been working on projects for former customers, and building a reproduction of George Washington's desk for my brother (a long process when the project keeps getting interrupted). I have completed an article for Wood Magazine and have just wrapped up and delivered a second. Also, I am teaching at Weekend With Wood in May of this year, and will be visiting the Triangle Woodworker Association in North Carolina this weekend for a two day class with a group presentation on Friday.Sounds busy to me. There are no restaurants in my immediate future. If you would like to reach me, Ron, I'm around. Please let me know how to do that. Your old email address did not work.

Wandering off the topic: Dang, Jim Thorpe, PA, with fewer than 5,000 people as of the last census, has got three museums! That town takes its history right seriously.