Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Downgrade a bandsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post

The saw has no built-in light, so I'm looking for some kind of gooseneck lamp to get some light on my workpiece. If anybody has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
    Dust collection fitting was on my list, but didnt know the size. There is a 10-305 at my local Woodcraft, if it is the same as the 306 I could size it for fit right in the store.

A light is a great idea! (in fact need one on my LT18. Found this old thread discussing the topic:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ideas&p=530878

or this

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...96,43349,71189

or

https://www.rockler.com/24-snake-arm-shop-light

or

https://moffattproducts.com/index.ph...gory/lighting/
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 12-27-2018 at 3:10 PM.

Carl,

The dust port, if I recall correctly, is 2-1/2" OD (I'm traveling, so I can't check it). I was pleasantly surprised when the 2" flexible coupling slid onto it, with a little persuasion.

Thanks for the suggestions on work lights. The one from Rockler looks like what I had in mind - and I like the option of a clamping or magnetic base.

Gary

My 305 has a dust port that perfectly fits a Ridgid 2-1/2" shop vac hose. I don't know if the 306 is the same. I don't usually hook the vac up but I have a few times and it worked pretty well. I prefer to use a real DC with a 4" hose but some small tools just don't seem to be set up for it.
    Zach

It is done. Jet has sold, Rikon is here. Figured I would try it and if I ever want to bump back to a larger saw I will go with a steel backed 14" (so upgrade from what I had before)

10 mins unpacking and turned it on and first impressions are positive but have yet to cut anything meaningful with it. The extra blades have not yet arrived. More pics once I try it in action.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking forward on your thoughts once you try it. You got the 10-306 correct?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    It is done. Jet has sold, Rikon is here. Figured I would try it and if I ever want to bump back to a larger saw I will go with a steel backed 14" (so upgrade from what I had before)

10 mins unpacking and turned it on and first impressions are positive but have yet to cut anything meaningful with it. The extra blades have not yet arrived. More pics once I try it in action.
    Looking forward to your initial impressions. I am contemplating between Rikon 10-306 and Wen's 10" bandsaw. Considering Wen mainly because of included options, such as stand and light, but also because of resew capacity of 6".

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Tryc View Post
    Considering Wen mainly because of included options, such as stand and light, but also because of resew capacity of 6".
    I wouldn't let the 6" resaw height affect my buying decision in this case. It is unlikely you will do any significant amount of resawing at 6" on a saw that has roughly 1/3hp and practically limited to a 3/8" blade. It is kinda like buying a Honda Civic with a trailer hitch rated for 5000 pounds. If you honestly need to tow 5000 pounds you need to consider another vehicle. These saws do a good job within their capability but if you expect too much they will be a bitter disappointment.

I am interested in Carl's experience with the 306, for a long time manufacturers built their small 9-10" saws at a "toy" level, Rikon seems to have moved the quality a good step closer to the venerable Inca saws that for years have been the gold standard of small saws and thus commanded a high price on the used market. They along with the older American made small saws were the only way to get larger saw quality scaled down, the 305 is decent but the 306 looks like it might come in at very good but the price is also moving it closer to bigger saws as well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have cut 3" thick maple on my 10-305 but it was done very slowly because of the small motor. It's not a saw I would consider at all useful for resawing, but I have a bigger saw for that. With softwoods it might be different, but I don't do much with them other than for soundboards.
    Zach

I helped a friend setup his new 10-306. Overall I was fairly impressed, nice solid built bandsaw. The only issue was had was that the table table is not square, it is out of square by almost a 1/4 inch over the length of the table, the miter slot was out of square by about 1/8 inch. I am not sure if he was that concerned about it, I told him to call Rikon and see what they say

Dave, I'm curious about what the table and miter slot were out of square with?

Will get to it, but other activities got in the way. (I am slow!) Plus, I got some extra blades which did not come with the saw. Assume they were shipped separately so hoping to have those as part of the setup.

In the meantime I ripped the side off some alumimun channel for a different project. No issues at all with the smaller saw size (a lot of use will be smaller stuff and this proved to be true). Plus I do a little metal work from time to time so that needs to be part of it (with the right blades).

Stay tuned...

The table itself was not square, when we squared the fence to the front of the table you could see the fence was not straight with the edge of the table. Not really a big deal, but the miter slot was also not square to the front of the table, this made the fence not parallel to the miter slot, I think this could be adjusted. Just a pain to make all the adjustments. This was not a problem for the user since he said he never used the miter slot.
    Just to be sure I checked both of my band saws and both my Laguna and Griz have square tables.

My main concern would be the ability to adjust the table so that it is perpendicular to the blade. The fence should be adjustable so that it runs parallel to the miter slot and to compensate for drift. It's been a while since I owned the 305, which I sold, but I seem to recall that both those adjustments were possible. To me, making those kinds of adjustments are just part of setting up any new tool.

Ok, some first impressions out of the box. No setup all all yet.

The table comes with a film over it, and a coating of protectant on the top side. This comes off easily with the wipe of a rag. The table is held to the saw by 4 bolts. Simple enough.

The fence attaches to the table with knobs, as does the 'slot leveler' (dont actually know what it is called - many saw use a pin to keep the table surface planar at the slot - this one has a small hex head with a knob underneath. The fence screws onto the fence/guide assy with thumb screws.

Attach a do-hicky to hang the fence on the left top when not in use, and .... thats it for assembly.

Some pics attached. The guide bearings are nice and adjust easily with the plastic knobs. (note I have not set these yet). Sliding the fence and eye-balling along the miter slot looks 'pretty good' - havent put an indicator on it yet. The fence is pretty square to the table, and the table is pretty square to the blade. The table has tilting detents which I simply set to zero and it came in decent. See pics. The lower wheel spins nicely and without slop. I havent put an indicator on it yet. The upper wheel spins freely and has some wiggle (not in the bearing but in the tensioning mechanism) - I assume this is by design and with tension applied it rests up against the set screw. The blade tracks in one place. Dust collection fit a 2 1/5" hose (note I havent run it with the cyclone on yet)

I put a small block of white oak through it as is and it cut fine, although I intentionally went slow. Note I will do more when I get the other blades that are on order. And will properly setup and tension.

The general features are all noted in the previous video comparing the 306 to the 305. I like the tensioning lever. You can see a pic of the tensioning system. The fence did rotate out on me as I was putting pressure on the block being resawn. If you press up against the top edge of the fence too hard, it will simply rotate and slip off the guide rail. Maybe I didnt press hard enough on the cam lock lever - it is plastic, and all the surfaces are new, so I am not sure how that will go over time. Could get smoother and tighter, or could become buggered and rough. Or break. It is very similar to other tablesaw fences where a cam lever simply squeezes/pinches to the guide rail. Likely just me being timid at first until I get more comfortable with it.

Overall I have a very favorable impression. It will be very interesting to see if I miss the 14" saw. Already the tension release, and fence are better than what was on the 14". The table is smaller. The hp is less, but if I can push through a 3" block of oak it will handle a lot before I need to step up to my Laguna. There is no tensioning indicator so I will have to tension via flutter or other method.

This will set on a bench end on the side of my shop. The entire reason for this was to save some floor space (my shop is 480sq ft and a combo of wood/metal working equipment packed in). I am optimistic it will achieve that and still perform everything I want it to do. (as mentioned, I can always throw a difft blade on the larger saw).

More to come as I set it up 'properly', but to be honest it is 90% (or more) there out of the box.

Feel free to request specific questions if you have them, and any suggestions on what should be checked/tuned for top working performance. By no means am I a bandsaw expert, but so far I quite like this little guy.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 01-07-2019 at 7:23 PM.

some more pictures 8 at a time