Thread: Hoping to find out some info on this Marples chisel set

Hoping to find out some info on this Marples chisel set

My first post in the Neaderthal forum so be gentle! ;-)

I picked up this set of Marples chisels a few weeks back at a local estate sale. I bought a pile of stuff and was pleased with the price. I've googled trying to find this set or any Marples set that looked similar but I've struck out. Can't even find a pic. I believe these are mortise chisels but would appreciate knowing if that is correct. I'm also curious as to when these might have been made. I doubt that they are "vintage" as they appear to have been made for an American market. The chisels are marked as 1" (25.4mm), 3/4" (19.1mm), 1/2" (12.7mm) and 1/4" (6.4mm). I'd also like to know what wood the handles are likely made of.

They do appear to be a very nice set and I plan on using them to clean up mortise and tenon joints. The box was made by the previous owner. Any info you guys can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_7585.jpg

You mean like these?

IMG_3512.jpg

They are great chisels. The handles are likely Ash, which is what mine are. I've seen them called various things, but two names that come to mind are Registered Mortise Chisels and Registered Firmer Chisels. The registered part refers to the thick blades which can be used for heavy chopping or mortising. Sorby still makes a set similar which you can see here:

https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/woodw...-firmer-chisel

Good score!

In the late 1980's I purchased a set of those chisels. Advertised as "registered mortise chisels". Later sold them as I did not use them very much. Solid and held the edge well. I belive that a "registered mortise chisel" was designed and made for heavy duty work/timber framing.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-28-2018 at 4:06 PM.

Mike,

The chisels were made sometime after 1933. Ray is correct in they are light duty mortise chisels vs. the heavier pig sticker style. Marple tends to use Ash and Boxwood for its chisel handles, those are not Boxwood. I expect they are Ash.

ken

If I'd had to wager a guess I would have said the handles looked like Ash to me so good to hear. Does Marples still make chisels in Sheffield, England? If not did that end when they were bought by Irwin?

Thanks guys!

Superb firmers/mortisers for those who don't need or want a self-jigging chisel when chopping out mortises. Straight sided, but will release in the mortise easily because they are not thick in section. They resist twisting better than mortise chisels that are slightly relieved (a parallelogram in essence). Ones that aren't relieved (Lie-Nielsen for instance) resist twisting, but tend to get stuck. The ones you have tick all the right boxes. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 11-28-2018 at 5:49 PM.

I bought one of these chisels in 1978 for about $9. They were called registered mortise chisels. I don't think there were mortise chisels in the catalogs at that time. They were heavier than a firmer chisel but not quite the thickness of a mortise chisel. The narrow chisels can be used to make mortises and the wider ones can be used to square up mortises that were roughed out with an auger.

The handles are ash and I would say you set dates from around 1984. Later chisels of this type carried the Sorby name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    If I'd had to wager a guess I would have said the handles looked like Ash to me so good to hear. Does Marples still make chisels in Sheffield, England? If not did that end when they were bought by Irwin?

Thanks guys!
    Mike,

That I can't answer, my interest in Marple chisels are ones made pre-war.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    Superb firmers/mortisers for those who don't need or want a self-jigging chisel when chopping out mortises. Straight sided, but will release in the mortise easily because they are not thick in section. They resist twisting better than mortise chisels that are slightly relieved (a parallelogram in essence). Ones that aren't relieved (Lie-Nielsen for instance) resist twisting, but tend to get stuck. The ones you have tick all the right boxes. Enjoy.
    Thanks Charles! I do plan on enjoying them and feel thankful to have come across such a fine set.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I bought one of these chisels in 1978 for about $9. They were called registered mortise chisels. I don't think there were mortise chisels in the catalogs at that time. They were heavier than a firmer chisel but not quite the thickness of a mortise chisel. The narrow chisels can be used to make mortises and the wider ones can be used to square up mortises that were roughed out with an auger.

The handles are ash and I would say you set dates from around 1984. Later chisels of this type carried the Sorby name.
    Great to have an idea of their manufacture date Warren. What exactly do you mean in saying "Later chisels of this type carried the Sorby name."? That Sorby was the only (?) company making these chisels or chisels that were equivalent to these Marples chisels? Sorry if I seem a bit slow but could you explain? Thanks!

Mike,

My father has a set of chisels identical to yours that he has had since the 1980s. At one point he was a Taylor carving tool distributor, and they distributed Marples chisels as well. The set I have is slightly older, with the decal, likely 70s. They aren't ancient, but they are good.

The same chisels suddenly started having the Sorby name about 30 years ago, as if they just sold a factory or tooling from one company to another. Garrett Wade says about the Marples chisels "the same company has made them since 1870", then they say the same thing when the Sorby name is on them. They are still available. A set of seven from Lee Valley costs $375.

Well,I guess Warren's post could explain why both have a reputation for being on the soft side.

Sound like an apt time to study the history of Wm Marples;

http://www.williammarplesandsons.com/history.html

Blog Entries
    There are other members of the Marples family that made tools, somewhat like the Buck family:

http://www.marples.co.uk/

My dovetail markers are from Joseph Marples Co.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Sound like an apt time to study the history of Wm Marples;

http://www.williammarplesandsons.com/history.html
    Thanks Stewie! That was an interesting read.