Thread: Solvent/Paint Disposal

Solvent/Paint Disposal

The local waste depot near me has stopped taking used paint, etc. But right now, things are accumulating until I can find a waste depot. I live in the boonies I have been making a run about twice a year.

Just wondering what you guys do do dispose of chemicals. I've been collecting in 5 gallon buckets but ssing a pan and pouring everything in a bucket is getting old. I'm thinking about a dedicated sink with a 5 gallon collection bucket.

I'm gradually moving to water based coatings but I'd be interested in you you guys handle it.

For paint, I've been buying paint drying crystals from Amazon(they're relatively cheap and arrive quickly). Alternatively, I wait until the cat litter needs changing, dump it into a trash bag, pour some paint on top, and let it dry for a few days before I through it in the trash.

Get a solvent recycler. The residue is solid enough for landfill and you get solvent good enough for gun wash back out of it. We no longer have a waste problem. The are made in various sizes. If you can't afford one, there may be another paint shop that does have one you can use occasionally. We did that before one came up at auction at the right price. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

RI has a "paint care" program - there is a small surcharge on each container of latex or oil-based paint, and there are a number of paint stores that accept partially used containers for recycling. Perhaps there is something similar in your area.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I use it as weed killer around my shop or pour it on my burn pile and carbonize it.
    -Lud

I've used kitty litter for latex paint but mostly use the abundant sawdust and shavings from my dust collector. As long as the result is a semi-solid lump of stuff, its ok in our trash.