Thread: How to make outside radius?

How to make outside radius?

Hello,

From a woodworking perspective, how would you guys make a leg something like this?
    Any tips or good ideas?

Udklip.jpg

Rough shape with saw. Use spokeshave, sandpaper to finish

I'd start with a blank of solid lumber. In your pic, it looks to be about 3x3x12. I'd cut the mortise and tenon joints to connect the leg to the rails before cutting the curves. On the table saw, I'd knock off the corner that is going to become your outside curve. On the bandsaw, I'd roughly cut the two inside curves. On the bandsaw, I'd rough cut the curves on the rails. Then I'd glue the leg to the rails. After that, I'd fair the inside curves with power sanders. I'd cut the outside curve with a hand plane. You can actually do this quite quickly and accurately with the hand plane. Right near the final shape, I'd use a power sander to smooth out the facets made by the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fuglsang View Post
    Hello,

From a woodworking perspective, how would you guys make a leg something like this?
    Any tips or good ideas?

Udklip.jpg
    Start with square joinery. Rasp and spokeshave to shape, finish with a scraper.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Rough shape with saw. Use spokeshave, sandpaper to finish
    +1, I would follow suit with Pat. Craftwork is key

Blog Entries
    +1 with the above recommendations. You're turning this . . .

af-Ped-Tbl-Post-tenons-dry-ped.jpg

Into something like this.

FWW-post-2.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you're talking about the radiused-leg to apron transition, there is a similar piece in the December Popular Woodworking.

However you approach it, be sure your joinery won't be exposed by the final shaping.

Knock out what I can with a saw. Then spokeshave or rasp, followed by sanding.

Assembly before shaping, like Glenn showed, is an idea I haven't tried. But it is intriguing - thanks for that idea Glenn!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    .. Assembly before shaping, like Glenn showed, is an idea I haven't tried. But it is intriguing - thanks for that idea Glenn!
    Fred ... naturally

Start with square joinery. Rasp and spokeshave to shape, finish with a scraper.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for that tutorial Derek! Clearly, I should spend more time reading your blog Sir!
    Much appreciated,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I cheat... I start off with the tool in the first picture and finish it
    off with the tool in the second and third picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images