Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting board glue up question...

Cutting board glue up question...

Morning all,

I am wanting to make a cutting board like the one in the picture below. Seems easy enough, just make two cutting boards, cut them at an angle, and then glue up the opposite ends. However, I realized that by doing this the long, angled glue joint will be end grain to end grain. I know that's generally frowned upon but in this case there would be a large amount of surface area for the glue. Think that would be okay in this instance?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 9.04.42 AM.jpg

I think it will hold at first, but if the cutting board is dropped on the floor it will break if the joint is unreinforced. I do a lot of segmented glue-ups for banjo rims and the end grain joints have some strength but even a quite minor shock impact will break them. Once I glue the rings of blocks into overlapping layers they are very much stronger even if dropped.
    Zach

I agree that just a butt joint is going to be weak and will probably fail eventually. This looks like a good application for dowels or possibly floating tenons.

Join using biscuits.

Long spline or dominoes.

Blog Entries
    I have a jessem doweling jig and that's what I would use- or similar, such as the other above mentioned solutions. You need something in that joint.

Another vote for dowels. The Jessem jig is top notch.

Another vote for dowels or a spline. That's a cool looking design.

Maybe a through-spline the same thickness as one of the narrow pieces in the cutting board surface - make it a "feature"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Maybe a through-spline the same thickness as one of the narrow pieces in the cutting board surface - make it a "feature"?
    Agreed. Question is, which of the two woods to use, because it won’t follow the reciprocal design of the piece. It even looks like the feet on the backside are opposite. Maybe a third wood, piece of something like wenge.

11. Good excuse to buy a Domino- if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    Good excuse to buy a Domino- if you haven't already.
    A domino sure is tempting. I am mainly worried about going through all of the trouble and then not getting the two pieces to line up exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    A domino sure is tempting. I am mainly worried about going through all of the trouble and then not getting the two pieces to line up exactly.
    Regardless of whether you use splines, biscuits, dowels or dominoes, you will need to do a bitif leveling after glueup if you want a 'perfect' flush joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Regardless of whether you use splines, biscuits, dowels or dominoes, you will need to do a bitif leveling after glueup if you want a 'perfect' flush joint.
    I assume you're referring to thickness? No problem with that. It will be small enough to go through the planer. I am mainly worried about getting the stripes to match.

Following...
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,