Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken hinge screw

Broken hinge screw

Broke small hinge screw ( screw is one inch in length). About half remains buried Over 1/4 inch deep, can barely see it. Any suggestions?

The method I use is drill a hole next to the broken screw 1/8 at least. Then push the broken one over to remove.
    The other method is to use the extractor a tube with teeth on the end. Ive never needed to use the tube one.
    Both are like doing surgery so make sure you and your patient is ready.
    Aj

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I've been using this style extractor for years-www.highlandwoodworking.com/set3hollowscrewextractors.aspx
    The teeth cut in reverse; pick the one with an inside diameter that most closely matches the root diameter of the screw and slowly "bump" your drill to get it started. When it reaches the screw, the teeth will grab the threads and you can back it out. Worst case, you'll core around the screw and then have to glue in a plug.
    The best versions of these are made from spring pins; they'll flex open a bit when the screw is reached and grab a little sooner.
    I make my own these days from pins I buy at the hardware store, takes about 20 mins with a file

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Easy to make coring drill from a rollpin just notch the joint into a tooth on one end. Choose inner diameter so it clears the old screw. Glue wood plug in to fill the big hole.
    Bil lD.

Blog Entries
    Or, drill a larger hole, glue a dowel in the hole, and drill a new pilot hole.

How many screws are holding the hinge in place? If the hinge is still secured firmly in place can you just leave the broken screw in place and epoxy or CA glue the head in place?

I use the hollow core screw extractors then glue in a plug.

Better yet. I install the hinges before finishing with steel screws which are much stronger. They basically tap the hole. On final assembly, after finishing, I switch to the much weaker brass screws and put them in by hand with jeweler’s screwdrivers.

Thank you for all the advice! Doug, 2 out of 3 screws are fine. You are right & I can probably exopy the head in place. Jim, surprisingly it was a steel screw used that broke before I put my brass screw in, but I must confess I used a power drill��. My question on the hollow extractor is does the drilled core come out easily or do you have to gouge it out because the bottom is not cut?

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    If you use the right size and grab the screw only, you can just put another screw in its place- this is what happens most of the time with the extractors made from spring pins.
    If you end up coring around it, it usually pops right up, if not wiggle the extractor while backing it out of the hole. They're small and break free easily.

FYI: Spring pin, tension pin, roll pin picture below.Horror Fright has an assortment box for $7.50 no idea if they are big enough to work with bigger screws.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/de...%20Pins%22%7C~

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    ...you just leave the broken screw in place and epoxy or CA glue the head in place?
    This is Mickey Mouse. Please don't consider this advice. When you screw something up, fix it properly. Don't leave a booby trap for the next guy who has to refinish and fix your bad work.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    This is Mickey Mouse. Please don't consider this advice. When you screw something up, fix it properly. Don't leave a booby trap for the next guy who has to refinish and fix your bad work.
    I agree this is not the "right" way to do it, I offered it as an option if the OP wasn't confident that they could remove the broken screw without doing further damage which is a real possibility given that per the OP it is a "small hinge" and therefore the piece may be delicate.

I’m all for making a one time tool to fix a goof up. But I’m against having such a tool for future use .
    This mistake should be a one or two time lesson and that’s it.
    Box making is very rewarding many hours go into a small precious box when it time to apply hinges confidence and care are the highest priority.
    Hinges are applied without flaws.
    Aj

So true, Andrew. The first few boxes, I twisted off a brass and a steel screw. Bought an extractor. Worked great, but haven’t touched it since.

While maybe a little over kill, I drill a pilot hole, and then use a gimlet rather than a steel screw. Then a bit of wax on the brass screw. Haven’t broken one since.