Thread: How can you make a corner cabinet w/out a track saw?

How can you make a corner cabinet w/out a track saw?

I use my track saw to make the top, bottom and shelves for a corner cabinet or base.

It's honesty as easy as pie. I simply made a pattern out of 5mm underlayment & use that to make the top, bottom and shelves. Since the track saw cuts to the line in one orientation of the track and ~ 1/8" or so shy of the line (due to the blade kerf), making adjustable shelves - that have sufficient clearance - is mindlessly easy.

I was well into typing a response to anther thread, extolling the ease of a track saw to do this & tyring to relate how track saws are so much more than just something to break down sheet good when it struck me that I never made a corner cabinet w/out the aid of a track saw.

So - not trying to burn up what precious few brain cells my ancient brain has left , I thought I'd ask someone that had actually done it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The track saw excels when one needs or wants to take the tool to the material for whatever reason and the available accuracy of current solutions is outstanding. There certainly are some things that are not the "ideal" job for a track saw, but it's a versatile tool for sure. Even though I have a Euro sliding table saw, I'm very grateful that I also have a track saw because sometimes it's the right tool to use...and more often as lifting heavy things gets harder.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    "L" fence. Double tape a guide on your blank and make the cut.

About 3 minutes in here also: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014...blesaw-l-fence (login req'd)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-28-2018 at 8:45 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

From their ubiquity I'd have to guess that many, many thousands of them were made prior to the introduction of any power tool. Draw or scribe a line and saw along it? Not exactly rocket surgery.

(not that I don't love my track saw!)

Lots of corner cabinets were made with a hand saw. The old ones don't have adjustable shelves - they are nailed through the face frame and back.

No track saw here. I would make a pattern and use my old Crescent 32" band saw to cut the top and all the shelves at one time.

Been there, done that.

Router and guide board.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    All of the above, including setting up a sled on the table saw. Too much work for just one cabinet, but for more than three, worth it; a table saw will cut the top and bottom at the same time

Blog Entries
    Before track saws were invented, we used a straight 1x4 guide and a skil saw.
    I still do if I am cutting plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I use my track saw to make the top, bottom and shelves for a corner cabinet or base.

It's honesty as easy as pie. I simply made a pattern out of 5mm underlayment & use that to make the top, bottom and shelves. Since the track saw cuts to the line in one orientation of the track and ~ 1/8" or so shy of the line (due to the blade kerf), making adjustable shelves - that have sufficient clearance - is mindlessly easy.

I was well into typing a response to anther thread, extolling the ease of a track saw to do this & tyring to relate how track saws are so much more than just something to break down sheet good when it struck me that I never made a corner cabinet w/out the aid of a track saw.

So - not trying to burn up what precious few brain cells my ancient brain has left , I thought I'd ask someone that had actually done it.
    Panel saw with jig
    Sliding tablesaw
    Hand saw
    Jig saw
    tablesaw with jig
    Router and straight edge
    cnc router

Lots of ways to beat that cat. Or is it skin a dead horse?

As mentioned, corner cabinets were being made before table saws were invented. Hand saw, hand plane, assemble. I suppose a hatchet and spoke shave would get it done as well. Any combination to get to the layout line does the job. I guess my first one was making a pattern by rough cutting on the bandsaw, then tacking a board to the line, and trimming with a flush trim bit in a fixed base Craftsman router. That was before Hitachi and Makita started importing routers to America. No even plunge routers in those days.