Thread: Grizzly G0506X3 Bandsaw

Grizzly G0506X3 Bandsaw

I have just purchased a Grizzly G0506X3 18" commercial bandsaw with 3 hp motor that I intend to use primarily in a straight line/ripping operation. I got this machine inexpensively for the size machine and all of the primary components appear to be in useable condition and I will be evaluating its performance/capability to determine whether I want to refresh/restore it. Is anyone familiar with this machine? Will it properly tension a 1" band for ripping? Would you invest $1500 in this saw for initial purchase and restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rhodus View Post
    Would you invest $1500 in this saw for initial purchase and restoration?
    Not when the current 514x 3hp 19" saw can be had new with a warranty for ~$250 more shipped to my door.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thank you Van; I should have referenced new cost before posting. This will affect the amount I am willing to spend on this saw but it appears not to be as great an issue now. The seller of this saw, an architectural components manufacturer,had advertised it as a parts saw. When I picked the saw up yesterday, I was surprised at the condition; this saw was in operable condition and the cosmetics were good. The manager had expressed a desire to get this saw out of their way and it is obvious they were just getting rid of it and selling cheap to ensure no issues from the buyer. I am going to replace the tires and guide bearings and install a VFD and put the saw to work. The coming days will tell me whether this saw is a good performer or a candidate for resale. I hope to find a saw in this size range that is a good performer and will allow me to replace a 22" saw I have had for some time to free up some shop space. The bigger saw has a larger footprint and a 8' infeed and outfeed rollcase that dominates one side of my shop. I am no longer interested in resawing large items and only need to break down manageable sized lumber into furniture sized components. Hopefully the Grizzly will fit the bill.

Your original post seemed like (to me anyway) you were paying $1,500 for the saw and then going to restore it.

Your second post seems to indicate you got the saw for (much?) less than that amount, and the $1,500 is what you might have in the saw after you complete your work on it... Still, I think Van hit the nail on the head.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Honestly, I think you will be happy with the saw. It is a solid saw and good to know you are getting out cheaper than expected.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yes Bill; I could have been much clearer. I paid $400 and was wondering how much I could spend on it before I was in too deep. After ordering parts today I expect this saw to be in operation for less than a total outlay of $800.