Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathes?

Lathes?

I’ve been looking at buying a good starter lathe. I’ve read all the reviews on Rikon, Delta, Jet, Grizzly etc. I guess my question is which one would be the better starter lathe with at least a 12”swing? Also why is the Colt small-350 rarely brought up in any reviews? Is it a reasonable choice also. Thanks.

Where do you live? Any old lathe is fine if it has ball bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wooden View Post
    I’ve been looking at buying a good starter lathe.
    The small Jet, Delta, and Rikon lathes are very nice. The variable speed feature is nice, but the belts are easy to change. The Woodcraft classes where I learned used the Jets, and I never had any complaints. They are heavy enough for most work without being bolted down. I used it for bowls, lidded boxes, thread chasing (for which a little slower speed would have been nice), etc.. Their biggest limitation is in turning large bowls and platters or outboard turning. I bought a full-sized lathe only because I wanted to turn very long spindles.

After much research and reviews, I settled for the Rilon 70-220 VSR. I really liked the lathe, but as many will tell you, you will soon find yourself wanting something more substantial with more swing and power if you plan on doing larger projects. I lasted for about 6 months, then broke down and bought a bigger machine. I'm not saying the smaller lathes are something to sneeze at, their not, but if you plan on doing bigger things sooner than later, you may regret not going on to a bigger machine.
    As far as Rikon, their CS is very good the few times I called them. I've never had any issue with the lathe, other than a cracked cover during shipping and Rikon immediately sent a replacement.
    While researching, I was aware that the Delta's midi's had been discontinued at that time, and parts availability was an issue. Don't know if that has changed since last year, so be aware of that issue when buying.
    Good luck on your decision.
    Steve
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

So I assume that you have done some turning and now know that it is something that you enjoy? All I will go with is you can turn small on a bigger machine but you can not turn big on a small machine , so with that buy as big as you can for what room you have. I upgraded to a griz 0766 and never looked back.

I've never heard of Colt, appears to be a UK brand but they do look to be available in the US. Looks like they need to work on their marketing!

http://colt-tools.com/projects/32/fi...1221_0b926.pdf
    http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/product/CML-1417.html

I'd recommend maximizing the HP and weight that fits into your budget with electronic variable speed a very-nice-to-have.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    So I assume that you have done some turning and now know that it is something that you enjoy? All I will go with is you can turn small on a bigger machine but you can not turn big on a small machine , so with that buy as big as you can for what room you have. I upgraded to a griz 0766 and never looked back.
    I agree. So many people (including me) first bought a small cheaper lathe then threw it away and got a good lathe.

If you are new to turning and want to get started to see if you want to stick with it, perhaps get a mini lathe so if you decide you won't use it you can sell it or keep it for a second lathe. (extremely handy) If you decide you like turning a lot you will probably outgrow the limitations of a 12" lathe quickly.

If experienced with turning but somewhat limited in funds, I'd look for the best used variable speed lathe I could afford. I'd avoid a Reeves drive but look for an electronic variable speed. A lathe bigger than 12", such as a used 110v Jet 1642, could let you turn everything you can imagine now and things you will imagine later. Many clubs and schools use this lathe. (I have two of those plus a one larger and a couple smaller lathes) Almost any lathe is fun. A good lathe is a real joy.

JKJ

Welcome! I'm going to say it would depend on what you plan on turning. Not all people end up turning bowls and require a "big" lathe. If you plan to turn pens, bottle stoppers and small boxes, a mini lathe will be fine for you for quite a while. You may very well want to go big later, but for a start a mini could be the ticket. Watch Craigs List for turners who upgraded. I got another Jet 10" with tools and chuck for 200 bucks several years ago (Had to buy it since it was so cheap), and just recently picked up a 12" Rikon for 150, to fill the cap between the minis and the 16" that I have. Currently on CL there a Jet 12" for 500 with stand, chuck and tools. Stick with the name brands and I think you'll do well. The Delta midi is probably the best midi lathe I've turned on, although the parts problem could be a bad thing, should your power switch or something else die.
    If you just don't know and you have some dollars wanting to get spent, I'll agree with everyone else, buy as big as you can. Although not practical, I could turn pens on my 16".

I've always appreciated well made tools and get added satisfaction from them besides their utility. If a small lathe is the direction you want to take the nicest one I've seen is made by Vicmarc. Their larger models are equally well made. I have a Oneway 2436 now but would like to someday add a small Vicmarc to the shop.iis

Edit If this was nearby it would be in my shop. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vicmarc-VL-...1bYo:rk:1:pf:0
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 11-28-2018 at 6:13 PM.

First to answer your question it would help to know what you want to turn. Next is your budget limit. Also add your location, you might have someone on the forum that is a close and have some models that you can try out.

Thanks for the feedback Marvin, since I’m new to turning I’m not real sure which direction I’ll go as far as what I’ll enjoy turning. And also a good point on the location as I live in eastern Kansas in case anyone close knows of any good deals.

Here is the website of the Kansas City woodturners club. http://kcwoodturners.org/ It would be a good starting place.

Next stop would be the Craigslist https://kansascity.craigslist.org/se...ery=wood+lathe I become an idiot when it comes to old iron, on a lathe, not much except the motor can really die, those are easily replaceable other parts are available on the auction site. But be careful, it is easy to buy a pig in a poke or a boat anchor, ask on the forum what people think about the ones that interest you.

I don't want to put a damper on you Ron however I feel it is very important to mention, for your budget, the personal protection tools. You don't want that starter lathe costing you lung, eye or hearing problems. The old "buy what you can afford" mantra only works if what you can afford in a lathe also includes a good face shield with air filtration, dust collector and good hearing protection. Don't be like so many of us who didn't include that from the start and now are dealing with the effects. Good luck with your search.

another Kansas native

Don't know what part of eastern Ks. you are from but also a club in Manhattan. web site doesn't look very active but who knows? [flinthillswoodturners.org] if I knew how to post a link I would:] sorry. also I own a Go766 and live a few miles north of there. if interested post a note I'll watch this site. Rusty

For me, turning is just a part of furniture building. The lathe only gets used a few times a year but I'm really glad to have it. Since I don't turn bowls or pens a mid sized lathe is just right.