Thread: Workshop vs Wetstones?

Workshop vs Wetstones?

Well, I finally took a close look at the Work Sharp, Onion Edition. It looks like it could be a pretty good sharpener, however I thought I'd ask opinions from those more experienced than I. I've been knife sharpening on the Tormek, for primary bevels, then wet stones from 1K, up to 8K to 15K, then leather strop. I'm no expert at it, but I can get the knives sharper by hand, than with the Tormek alone.
    All that said, the Work Sharp looks so fast and simple, but does it truly compare? Can I get a gleaming edge on the knife, at the proper angle? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Well, I finally took a close look at the Work Sharp, Onion Edition. It looks like it could be a pretty good sharpener, however I thought I'd ask opinions from those more experienced than I. I've been knife sharpening on the Tormek, for primary bevels, then wet stones from 1K, up to 8K to 15K, then leather strop. I'm no expert at it, but I can get the knives sharper by hand, than with the Tormek alone.
    All that said, the Work Sharp looks so fast and simple, but does it truly compare? Can I get a gleaming edge on the knife, at the proper angle? Thanks for the help!
    Derek,

I've sharpening round heels, I've at least tried most systems and while the Worksharp works it is not the best system if you do have the skill to sharpen iron. The sandpaper is expensive and a paih to change and use. There are diamond disks available which would be cheaper in the long run. I Tried 'em, but by that time I had given up on the system and found a friend to give it to. Of course as with all things tools and wood, YMMV.

ken

The Onion version is very different from the woodworkers version, that looks like a Veritas MKII Powersharpener clone.

I think the Onion was designed for people who don't have the skill to sharpen freehand. It sounds like your skill is beyond this.

Blog Entries
    I have the Tormek as well as a Worksharp with the knife attachment, which is basically the same thing as the stand-alone model, but attaches to the Worksharp. I bought the stand-alone sharpener for my mom. It does a great job putting a decent edge on a knife, but nowhere near what the Tormek and finishing on a good set of stones can do. I do use it when an edge is badly damaged and I need to quickly reset the bevel before heading to the Tormek and stones to finish the job.

Malcolm, thanks for the info. That's what I needed to know. I'm always looking for a quicker way, but one that's still going to get me where I need to be. I guess for now, I'll stick with the stones. Thanks again.

Derek, do you use any type of guide or honing aid when you sharpen knives by hand?
    If not, I admire your skill level and hope to join you eventually.
    I can hand hone plane irons and chisels fairly well. But try as I might, I cannot seem to consistently hand hone the tiny bevel on a knife. For this reason, in my case the Tormek is my go to with knives and I find the consistent bevel trumps the finer finish of a flat stone due to my own skill limitations.

The other thing to consider is whether there is a diminishing return in going as fine as you are going with your knives. Getting into 15K atmosphere for woodworking tools is one thing, but even sushi chefs do not typically hone their knives that fine, the reason being the nature of food is such that a tiny microscopic 'tooth" in the final edge aids the cutting action quite a bit. In other words, there is a bell curve going on and if you hone too fine and go over the bell curve, your knife's performance will actually become worse, not better. The one disclaimer I offer is that some of this depends on what you are cutting ie. meat and fish versus say a hard root vegetable.
    Don't take my word on this, conduct your own experiment by sharpening two or three knives to different grits and seeing how they respectively perform in the kitchen.

Sorry if I'm taking you off topic, but hoping this is helpful,
    Edwin

Edwin, I don't use a guide, however I did watch several videos on hand sharpening, bought some practice kitchen knives at WMart and started practicing. I have a knives that were gifted to me and are very sharp and very expensive, so I had to learn how to sharpen them. Turns out that it's a pretty natural movement for me, so it really didn't take long for me to learn. Believe me when I say, if I can do it, any one can. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get the feel. Funny thing is, I tried knives on the Tormek, but I couldn't get an edge I was happy with. That's why I learned hand sharpening.
    I hear you on the over sharpening thing. I just wanted to be able to sharpen to the degree the knives were when I received them. Although I have the 15K stone, I only went to 8K, then stropped. I'll have to do some slicing tests to see how they cut various foods.

Derek, I work "burnin" as a line cook in college and law school and found out that mise en place was my first name. I never used a blade sharpened to near 15000 nor did any line cook or chef I worked with (fine dining just short of Michelin star territory). The edge I get off a Tormek then power stropping is as good as I ever worked with on the line. In fact I am willing to bet that is exactly how they were sharpened when they were sent out. To continue that line of thinking todays serious home cooks have better equipment than most commercial kitchens, especially knive and pots/pans. On a busy night I might go through 50 sautee pans, all of which were mid level restaurant warehouse quality, nothing special.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I hear ya. It’s just part of the hobby for me. Although my Miyabi knives are really that sharp out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I hear ya. It’s just part of the hobby for me. Although my Miyabi knives are really that sharp out of the box.
    That's what I was saying about home cooks, I never used anything as nice as Miyabis which are indeed very sharp out of the box. I have always had lowly Henkel 4 stars. As mentioned in the other thread if the Ken Onion is similar to the 3000 knife sharpening conversion it is not going to meet your needs. Hearing where you want to end up tells me you are going to be on stones to get there. I also hear you about it being part of the hobby, it is for my wife as well. I don't touch her stuff (except to sharpen or steel knives when she asks) and I dig my junk out of the back of the cabinets and drawers when I cook. I would have to relearn heat control and knife skills with her fancy stuff, but I respect her zeal... and the results.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.