Thread: Can Record Jaws be used on SuperNova 2 chuck?

Can Record Jaws be used on SuperNova 2 chuck?

I have watched several YouTube videos where the presenter says that Record Jaws and Sorby Jaws can be used on the TeknaTool SuperNova 2 chuck. In yesterday's Woodcraft sales flyer they are having a 25% off sale on Record chucks and jaws. Record makes a jaw that I like better than the closest SuperNova jaw and with a 25% off would be a good buy. Will anyone confirm that jaws sold for the Record chuck will mount on a SuperNova 2 chuck?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    I have watched several YouTube videos where the presenter says that Record Jaws and Sorby Jaws can be used on the TeknaTool SuperNova 2 chuck. In yesterday's Woodcraft sales flyer they are having a 25% off sale on Record chucks and jaws. Record makes a jaw that I like better than the closest SuperNova jaw and with a 25% off would be a good buy. Will anyone confirm that jaws sold for the Record chuck will mount on a SuperNova 2 chuck?
    That is the first time I have heard such a claim. I have 5 SN2 chucks, but use Nova jaw sets. I’ll be interested to hear if someone confirms the youtube claim. Usually jaws are proprietary to the brand of chuck, and have the hole spacing just different enough that one has to use the same brand jaws.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    ... Woodcraft sales flyer they are having a 25% off sale on Record chucks and jaws. ...Will anyone confirm that jaws sold for the Record chuck will mount on a SuperNova 2 chuck?
    Woodcraft should be able to confirm that. Perhaps take your SN2 chuck to the store with you and ask them to see if the other jaws will fit. Let us know.

Which jaw do you like better than the Nova and why? If they fit OK I might need some.

I asked sir google "will record power jaws fit on a nova chuck?" One gentleman in another forum said in 2016 that the Nova jaws fit perfectly on the slides of the Record Power chuck although the jaws didn't close all the way. Perhaps the sale jaws will close fine on the Nova chucks. Another person wrote he put the jaws from one of the new record chucks onto a nova and they fit.

Another wrote "Because the Nova and SC4 scrolls operate in reverse to one another the jaw slide numbers are reversed. To retain the Nova jaws in the order they were originally machined in you need to install them in reverse order on the SC4." I assume vice-versa applies.

JKJ

For top jaws there are standards that all chuck makers use in the metal shop world. I doubt if wood chuck makers bothered to invent new standards. But I would not doubt they did no research and by default invent a new standard that only there company uses..

I have both the Record and SN2 chucks. I have Record pin jaws on one of my SN2 chucks and SN2 jaws on the Record chuck. When installing the jaws I read somewhere (maybe the Record instructions) to put the #3 jaw in the #1 location and the #1 jaw in the #3 location. Supposedly because the Record tighten the opposite of the SN2. I prefer the Record chuck.

Edit: #2 and #4 jaws are not reversed, only #1 and #3.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 11-28-2018 at 8:31 AM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.