Thread: Trend Airshield Pro versus RZ Dust Mask

Trend Airshield Pro versus RZ Dust Mask

Hi All,

I've read alot of positive posts regarding the Trend Airshield. I currently wear one of those mask/respirators with the 2 filter cartridges.....looks like a gas mask but just fits over my mouth and nose. I find it incredibly uncomfortable.

I've been toying with the Trend for a long time and was about to pull the trigger when I stumbled upon the RZ M2 and RZ M2.5 face masks. RZ claims thier mask will filter down to .1 Micron while Trend claims .6 Micron.

So, now I'm not sure what to make of that. Is the $35 mask really better than a PAPR style setup??? What am I missing???

Thank you for any education you can offer me,

Regards, George

I know a gal that makes signs using HDU and MDF and swears by the RZ mask

I have several of the RZ masks and I really like them. They are easy to put on and off and they don't fog my glasses. I wear mine any time that I am sanding.

I have the RZ mask and seldom use it becaues it pushes my glasses up and fogs them tried everything to overcome these issues but nothing works for me.

What are you trying to filter out? Is it just dust, or are there paint fumes, and other atomized chemicals involved?

I went down this road earlier this year after having some serious pulmonary issues. My pulmonologist educated me on the shortcomings of alot of the lesser expensive "filtration" systems mentioned here. Alot of them do not filter out anything other than dust. Paint fumes, cutting oil (metalworking) and fumes, cleaning chemicals, glues, and a lot of finishing products go right through a lot of these filters.

I ended up buying a 3M PAPR system, and it arrived yesterday. I got the TR-600 system with helmet, as it's the system that actually has different filters available to work properly in different work settings, and the things we shouldn't be breathing.

I was pretty disappointed, after doing my homework, that these lesser, very popular units don't really actually filter that much out of the shop air that a busy shop can put into the air.

I know they're expensive as heck. I almost choked when I found out what I needed to spend, but I figured that my lungs, and staying alive, are worth it.
    Jeff

Thank you all for the replies. My needs are purely woodworking. Wood dust and ocasionally MDF, although I hate the stuff. I don't spray finishes. I hand apply all my finishes. I do have dust collection at each tool and a Jet ambient air cleaner running at all times when I am in the shop.

My workshop is in my basement which has 3 windows that I open as needed depending on what i am doing. I cant afford the 3M PAPR systems so I am comparing the Trend Airshield Pro versus other options. I believe the Airshield only filters dust and does not filter vapors, and other volitiles. But perhaps I am wrong...and that would definately change things

I understand that a set of lungs is priceless and if i could afford the 3M set up I would go there given the versatility of the system and what it can filter out.

But i am trying to understand if the Trend is truly that superior to a really good mask. but what I am most confused by is the micron filtration claims by both manufactures and whether that should be considered???

Thank you, George

The first question is do you have a beard? If you do, no mask is going to work well. The RZ masks aren't much more than buying a paper mask. For strictly woodworking, a hepa filter is best. You need to make sure to clean after use and keep in a sealed bag.

George,

The Airshield only filters dust, as you said. I do not know if they even have a HEPA filter for it. I didn't consider the unit at all, as it wouldn't work for my situation. I needed the higher filtration capabilities of organic volatiles, as well as vapors from different materials, so I was forced to getting the TR-600. Believe me, I didn't want to spend the money, but it's the only way I continue to work in the shop, and I do this for a living, so......

I think you would be fine with the Airshield, as long as it fits you.

Incidentally, beards are not a problem for the 3M helmets. The M300 and M400 series helmets have accounted for proper filtration for people with beards. You can use any of their helmets with their entry level PAPR system, which is the TR-300 series. Those are only fitted with a HEPA filter.
    Jeff

What country will limit options. I do not think Russia has access to USA brands?
    Bil lD

The Trend Airshield is both a dust solution and face protection solution for woodturners. In that sense, it is ideal for woodturning as well as other woodworking. I love it and don't find that wearing it for long periods is uncomfortable. Also, because of the air circulation, my glasses don't fog up.

The Airshield's filter is not HEPA rated. However, I have used it in combination with a cyclone for large machines, a HEPA vac for sanding and some smaller machines, and a ceiling mounted air cleaner to filter the remaining dust out of the air as much as possible.

I value my lungs and my shop is in my home's basement. I believe it's important that all precautions are taken to remove wood dust from the air and prevent it from reaching your lungs regardless of whether your shop is separate or integrated into your home. Because of that view, I have spent quite a bit of money on dust collection and filtering but my shop has very little residual dust on the floor or tops of cabinets, tables, and benches.

In the context of my shop's operation, the Airshield is a great solution. I'd buy another one if my current Airshield ever stopped working.

Thank you All!! No beard, I'm generally clean shaven, though there are weekends that I take a break but the most I have is a heavy 5 o'clock shadow. Based on the feedback, it sounds like I should first assess the level of filtration i have at the tool source and the overall ambient air.

I'm pretty certain my dust collector is not HEPA rated as it relies on a felt bag. My shop vac hooked up to smaller tools and sanders is also not HEPA filtered. I will have to check my Jet air cleaner, but I'm guessing its not. Its the AFS-1000b.

Given the above.......would wearing an RZ style mask AND the AirTrend be simply stupid?? RZ claims HEPA filtration and the AirShield would give additional filtration and face protection.

I have a Airtrend Pro.
    Up sides: Easy on/off over eyeglasses and beard. Eyeglasses don't fog up...ever. It is extra eye protection, whole face really, for those times when needed. It is easy and convenient to use which means it gets used. I don't have to fight elastic or straps, simply adjust the headgear just as you would a welding hood or full face shield. The battery lasts a remarkably long time. I generally use it only when cutting mdf or using a router. Dust collection system takes care of most other tools. I have also worn it while using my compact track loader in extremely dusty conditions.
    Down sides: A common complaint is it's heavy on your head. It is heavy. I didn't find it to be onerously so, though I am used to wearing welding hood. YMMV. The only filters that I've found are simply wood dust type filters. I don't believe they make a OV filter for it (wish they did). It is bulky. There is some noise associated with the fan running right above your ears. Since I wear hearing protection (custom made ear plugs) and there is invariably some sort of, very noisy, woodworking machine running it doesn't bother me at all. Again, YMMV.

Face mask style dust filters mess with my sinuses to quit using them some time ago. The Airtrend filled the gap. There are several PAPR type filters, like the previously mentioned 3M, that have multi filter capabilities. I can see one of those in my future as I do work with organic vapors at times and abhor the hang off your face filters. I would opine it boils down to whether or not you'll need OV filtration. Then how fine of dust filtration.