Thread: Log Hoarder Sawmill Problem!

Log Hoarder Sawmill Problem!

A local farmer claims to be a sawmill. He says he has lots of logs. I was interested in Cherry. He said
    he had a 2 1/2 ft log 16 ft long. I told him that sounds ideal, his reply was “there is another guy wants to buy it”. I asked if the other guy gave him a deposit, he said no. I asked how many weeks ago he said he wanted it, eventually he said “about a year”. He said it was cut down over 2 years ago.

He gave me directions to the farm. He had a long loop road next to his house with logs all along both sides.
    I found the cherry log he described, right width but 12 ft long and the trunk end was not sealed so 2 ft of the best wood was cracked.

Well I’ve left messages and called both numbers numerous times but he won’t get back to me. We never even discussed price! We have yet to meet.

Now I think he just does not want to really sell any wood and the guy from a year ago met the same fate as me! I’ve never had this much trouble buying wood!

Ideas anyone?
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 11-27-2018 at 1:26 PM.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

After pondering this for a moment, I would go knock on his door or find the main barn for the farm and look for him there. If that wasn't an option, then I would wash my hands of him. Just my honest opinion.

Kyle

He doesn’t need the money yet...
    Joe

I wouldn't waste any more time with that one.

It's a huge waste of time, but not because of the unreliable nature of the sawyer. You can't leave a 30" log laying around for two years and expect any lumber from it to be any good. Once a tree is cut down, it starts to dry out. A piece of wood that big will have cracks running all through it. You might be able to make chisel handles from it, but it's mostly firewood. I wouldn't give it a second thought. When a tree is cut, it needs to be sawn and stickered as soon as possible, so it can be air dried and then kiln dried.

Very true Pete, my problem is a tendency to drool next to a large cherry log and imagine some must be good.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Sounds like some good smokin wood to me. Mix in a little apple and oh we are smokin now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Sounds like some good smokin wood to me. Mix in a little apple and oh we are smokin now.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I took down a rotten apple tree off my property last year, and have sawn some cherry, and of course, I saved the slabs from my sawmill for smoking. Nothing like pork butts and ribs, with a little chicken thrown in, smoked with apple and cherry. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
    Jeff