Thread: Advice on Dust Collector

Advice on Dust Collector

Though I didn't find anything I wanted on Black Friday, I have come across a CL find for a dust collector which I 've been in the market for to upgrade a shop vac/cyclone setup. Just hoping for some advice, as I'm not sure I can make it work. Because of the limited shop space I have, I've been looking at either the Grizzly wall mounted (G0710) or rolling (G1163P) units. I would be using it mainly for a contractor saw, though I would also use it (separately, not permanently) attached to a router table. It appears I can get the below DC for $50 though it would be too big (footprint wise) to use comfortably. One of my thoughts is whether I could scavenge the motor/impeller off of it and build a wallmount for it. The only problem I'm concerned about is that it seems the impeller housing/dust collection housing may be one piece instead of connected with a flange. If that's the case, I would have to cut the motor/impeller housing and then build some type of exhaust chute. Am I way off base? Is this not worth the effort? Should I just try to flip this DC and put the money to an off-the-shelf solution? Any input greatly appreciated.

9ed04578-1f90-4296-afd0-6309d976c274.jpg77953058-14e3-4324-8a6b-07056c04573b.jpg

Not to be a wet blanket, but what you have there is a way to move the large stuff away from the tool while distributing the small (unhealthy) stuff into the air around you. Those fabric bags are awful.

From what I can see it looks like the motor, fan, and fan housing can be separated from the metal section the bags attach to. If so, you could use those first three parts to build a wall mounted DC. As already noted, if you want to catch fine dust, not just the chips, you need a much higher quality filter than those bags.

John

Add your location to your profile. Then we can give better answers. Can you mount it outside in an attached shed? Do you live in a warmish climate or in the cold north? Have you attic space above the shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket, but what you have there is a way to move the large stuff away from the tool while distributing the small (unhealthy) stuff into the air around you. Those fabric bags are awful.
    Yes, I recognize that. Which is why I am not planning to use it "as is".

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    From what I can see it looks like the motor, fan, and fan housing can be separated from the metal section the bags attach to. If so, you could use those first three parts to build a wall mounted DC. As already noted, if you want to catch fine dust, not just the chips, you need a much higher quality filter than those bags.

John
    Thanks. Ideally that would be my plan, and I would try to retrofit a canister filter onto it somehow. I'm hoping it slides apart, as there does seem to be a seam. Just wondering if (worst case scenario) I have to cut it whether I can get something functional out of it. It would be nice if I could go take a look at it first, but it's about a 90 minute drive. Not worth the gas to go there and back without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Add your location to your profile. Then we can give better answers. Can you mount it outside in an attached shed? Do you live in a warmish climate or in the cold north? Have you attic space above the shop?
    Added...Pittsburgh. Basement shop with no attic above, no shed to mount it outside. If I put it outside it would involve tearing out a glass block window, which is not in the cards. My only real options are to mount it in an area on the wall above some storage or have a mobile one that can store out of the way when not in use (which is how I use the shop vac/cyclone).

What is the hp rating? It needs power to overcome resistance to air flow. That is probably less of a problem if you keep it portable and connect close to the dust source.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

[QUOTE=Patrick Varley;2869634

Thanks. Ideally that would be my plan, and I would try to retrofit a canister filter onto it somehow. I'm hoping it slides apart, as there does seem to be a seam. Just wondering if (worst case scenario) I have to cut it whether I can get something functional out of it. It would be nice if I could go take a look at it first, but it's about a 90 minute drive. Not worth the gas to go there and back without it. [/QUOTE]

You should be able to adapt the whole thing to a canister filter, which would avoid having to cut anything off. Winn sells canister filters and adapter kits to mount them in place of bags. You could use two filters for better airflow or just one by blocking off where one of the bags attaches now.

Looking again at the photos I'd agree with the comment above that you will be hard pressed to get enough flow for anything more than one machine. 4" corrugated hose doesn't have much flow which means you need really short runs, something not likely to be the case if you mount it on the wall. If you still want to try it I think you should upsize it to at least 5" hose - and still plan to connect it to only one machine at a time.

John

I've blown up the pictures and can't tell what the HP is. It looks much like a 1 and if it is I'd pass. If it is a 2 and the hose on it is a 4" then it has a 6" inlet, which when combined with the exit straight into the bag ring is about as good as it gets with that kind of DC. It breaths better than with a hose between the impeller and ring. It is still the minimum even with a short run of 6" pipe. You could mount the motor/impeller on the floor under a bench and run a square/rectangular duct up to the ring with cartridge and bag mounted on the wall.

For years I struggled with poor collection until I bit the bullet and bought an Oneida Dust Cobra. This unit moves much more air than a shop vac and is relatively quiet. It has a footprint of only 30" square. I mounted it just outside the shop and piped it in with 3" PVC and a remote switch. Huge improvement.