Thread: Weight of 100 Board Ft of Dry Cherry Ruff Cut

Weight of 100 Board Ft of Dry Cherry Ruff Cut

Need the weight of 100 bd ft of Ruff Cut Dry Cherry, 8 ft length thickness l l/8 inches

Assuming my math is not too rusty, 100 bd ft equals 8.33 cubic feet. According to the The Wood Database, the average weight of dried cherry is 35 lbs per cu ft. So the total weight is roughly 292 lbs.

James beat me to it.

Here is the link to the wood database: https://www.wood-database.com/black-cherry/

Question comes to my mind about the 100 board feet amount. Is that based on the 1-1/8" or nominal 1". As a retired engineer, I have always been been a little skeptical about weights and tried to be on conservative side. The extra 1/8" would amount to another 36 pounds and average weight is just that so it could be off by another possibly 10%. You did not say how this weight would be used and an extra 40 or 50 pounds might not be a factor.

The other area of uncertainty besides volume is what is actually meant by the term "Dry". That could be 6% but it could also be 12%.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Question comes to my mind about the 100 board feet amount. Is that based on the 1-1/8" or nominal 1". As a retired engineer, I have always been been a little skeptical about weights and tried to be on conservative side. The extra 1/8" would amount to another 36 pounds and average weight is just that so it could be off by another possibly 10%. You did not say how this weight would be used and an extra 40 or 50 pounds might not be a factor.
    Seems to me the actual dimension is always less than the nominal, due to shrinkage during drying (and surfacing, in the case of milled lumber). So, if the OP's 1-1/8" lumber is nominal 5/4 (and the 100 bf was determined based on the nominal), he might actually have less than 8.33 cf.

I was told that kiln dried cherry (6-8%) weighs 3 pounds per board foot on average. Not all trees of the same species have the same density, and even within a tree there will be some variation.
    Zach

Well I learned something today. When I spotted this thread I was going to reply,"Heavy". Turns out that this to is documented. Thanks for the link to that database Brad.

Blog Entries
    I’m curious about the OP’s reason to determine this information. Not criticizing, just curious. Shipping cost? Can’t imagine any pickup truck or otherwise would have a problem.

I once tied about 150 bf of stunningly nice curly cherry to the roof of my brother's car (no roof rack, just a blanket) and it caved in the whole roof by the time we got home (~200 miles), thanks, probably, to a few potholes along the way.. He was cool with it (it was a junker car already) and it was some of the nicest wood I've ever found. So, heavy enough to do some damage.

Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    Need the weight of 100 bd ft of Ruff Cut Dry Cherry, 8 ft length thickness l l/8 inches
    The weight is much different green or dry. The density numbers in tables and such are approximate - even identically sized pieces vary depending on how the tree grew. If you need a close weight you could take a scale to the lumber, weigh one piece, calculate the approximate total weight of the load.
    But I can't imagine what might require more than a very rough weight estimate. Are you just trying to decide how best to haul it? (pull the cart with a goat or a horse?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    Seems to me the actual dimension is always less than the nominal, due to shrinkage during drying (and surfacing, in the case of milled lumber). So, if the OP's 1-1/8" lumber is nominal 5/4 (and the 100 bf was determined based on the nominal), he might actually have less than 8.33 cf.
    With surfaced lumber the actual dimension is less than the nominal. With rough cut lumber, the opposite is true. 4/4 lumber is normally rough cut at 1-1/8" thick.