Thread: Wood movement and threaded inserts

Wood movement and threaded inserts

I have been asked to turn an urn for the spouse of a coworker. I plan on using a threaded brass insert for the lid, and am wondering what the impact of wood movement if using this method. I live in SW Colorado which is very dry, and if the urn was to be relocated to a more humid climate would this cause the urn to crack around the insert? This is the first urn that I have done so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Anything else I should be aware of or take into consideration?

Thanks,
    Greg

It might. You can read up on wood movement stats if you look online. You can find your species and it will tell you how much it might move. I would also leave a slight space and use a flexible glue like E6000. That should take up some slack. You won't have much movement over a 3" span so if you leave a little slop you should be OK>

I epoxy my Vessels inside and out. I pour epoxy inside and turn and tilt the vessel till you coat the entire inside. Then let the excess pour out and use a rag to get out the rest. This wiil act as a great moisture barrier and will help to keep things stable. Obviously do this before installing the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I epoxy my Vessels inside and out. I pour epoxy inside and turn and tilt the vessel till you coat the entire inside. Then let the excess pour out and use a rag to get out the rest. This wiil act as a great moisture barrier and will help to keep things stable. Obviously do this before installing the insert.
    In addition to that if the wall of the urn is not extremely thick the strength of the threaded brass ring will tend to stabilize the movement of the wood epoxied to it. I wouldn't worry about it. And if you make the urn from an end-grain block (grain parallel to center axis of the ring) there should be little force from wood movement. Lidded boxes are made from end-grain blanks.

JKJ

Thanks John, John and John.