Thread: How is this done? Cutting Board w miter?

How is this done? Cutting Board w miter?

How the heck is this "angle strip" done on a cutting board? See pic

20181127_124227482_iOS.jpg
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

If you want to do that (though I would not recommend it) the method is to join together a bunch of strips to make the stripes and then cut the resulting board at a 45 degree angle and make two more parallel cuts. Then you take the two strips, flip one over and glue them together. I don't think the board in your picture is going to stay together for very long, the grain direction is going to break the feature strip away from the spalted board as soon as a few humidity high/low cycles have passed. Also I would not recommend spalted wood for a cutting board, it is softer and weaker than non-spalted wood and has fungal things in it that might not be very healthful.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    If you want to do that (though I would not recommend it) the method is to join together a bunch of strips to make the stripes and then cut the resulting board at a 45 degree angle and make two more parallel cuts. Then you take the two strips, flip one over and glue them together. I don't think the board in your picture is going to stay together for very long, the grain direction is going to break the feature strip away from the spalted board as soon as a few humidity high/low cycles have passed. Also I would not recommend spalted wood for a cutting board, it is softer and weaker than non-spalted wood and has fungal things in it that might not be very healthful.
    Zach

Thanks for the info... i understand now....
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

laminating wood

David,

For instructions, hints, and creative inspiration, Frank Penta has a document. While his work is not for cutting boards, the principles are the same. You could ask him about cutting boards; I suspect he as made some.

Frank glues up a variety of small pieces, many of them exotics, often laminating small pieces with solid wood. He makes woodturning blanks for plates, platters, and more. Some of his platters are large. He's been doing this for many years and I haven't seen a failure yet, but you could call him and ask - Frank is ALWAYS ready to help someone!

The PDF file is here: http://www.frankpenta.com/index.php/...ood.pdf/detail
    Page 5 has one that looks much like the one in your picture.

frank_laminations.jpg

You can find more pictures of laminated pieces in his gallery: http://www.frankpenta.com/index.php/...gory/34-franks

JKJ

I think it's ambrosia maple, not spalted maple (at least that's what it looks like to me). However, ambrosia is a "fungus related issue" as well, so Zachary's response about fungus on a cutting board may still hold true. Just an observation.