Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navigator app on cell phone

Blog Entries
    An old dog like myself does not care.

The important people in my life know the land line and two of my children live near by.
    Three grandchildren live 1/2 mile away with their parents and we see them all most
    daily.

I like my cell phone and use it when I need it. I am retired and have no business calls.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I switched to AT&T because there are no overage charges for data they just slow you down if you exceed your data amount. They also carry over un used data from the previous month. I have a 1 Gb plan.

I prefer navigating with a Garmin GPS, rarely is there any outage even in the deep woods. We recently used ours in the Sequoia National Forest and had no navigation problems.
    Lee,
    I'm a Garmin fan also. But I used to live about a mile from Garmin headquarters. I developed a relationship with the programmers there when I helped out with a Bluetooth lecture. I had bought a Garmin Nuvi for a vacation and called my contact to complement him on the intuitive user interface. He said, "Thank you, I designed that interface." A few months later, the same Nuvi froze and I called him again. He said, "Sorry, that was my bug"

We have a Chrysler Town and Country with built in GPS from Garmin. I kind of like my Nuvi better but this one is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Lee,
    I'm a Garmin fan also. But I used to live about a mile from Garmin headquarters. I developed a relationship with the programmers there when I helped out with a Bluetooth lecture. I had bought a Garmin Nuvi for a vacation and called my contact to complement him on the intuitive user interface. He said, "Thank you, I designed that interface." A few months later, the same Nuvi froze and I called him again. He said, "Sorry, that was my bug"

We have a Chrysler Town and Country with built in GPS from Garmin. I kind of like my Nuvi better but this one is still good.
    How good is the user interface with the latest Garmins? My last Garmin (bought at least several years ago) had voice recognition but it was pretty useless. To input an address you had to spell it letter by letter, how does it work now? With Google maps, if my phone is on and the app is open, without touching it, I can just say "OK Google Lee Valley Vancouver" . It shows the route and starts navigating. It also selects the route based on current traffic conditions and offers detours if traffic conditions change. Since I already have a smartphone it is free and no need to carry two devices. I'd be interested to hear what the Garmin can do that Google maps can't.