Thread: HF Quick Release Bar Clamps???

HF Quick Release Bar Clamps???

I'm looking at Rockler's deal on Jorgenson 6 and 12" bar clamps, $25 for 2 of each. HF equivalent are about $3 each, however as with any HF tool, I have questions about the quality. Anyone have and use these? Thoughts?

I have some of the HF ones, they are ok until you need to really tighten them, then the bar starts to bend. At a few dollars a piece you may want to try a couple to see what you can get out of them. For the most part, useful for the jobs that don't require lots of pressure.

Dennis

I have quite a few of the HF clamps. They are very useful for the price. I also have several Jorgenson' and they are quite a bit stronger, but more expensive. For light to moderate glue ups, the HF clamps will do a good job. I especially like the grips on them. They are rubber and easy to grip and tighten. I do more with the 6" and 12" ones than anything else. I have the longer ones, but they do tend to bend more. For the money they are a good tool.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

6" and 12" HF bar clamps are as good as anyone else's as far as I'm concerned. Anything longer than that and the HF clamps fall off really fast in the quality department.

Are these the ones with hollow tube extrusions? Someone here has a method of filling tube with wood to make it stiffer.

6. As others here have mentioned, the HFs are good for the price, but they have weaknesses that make them not ideal for more demanding tasks. The reliability and durability of the Jorgenson clamps are top-notch. All in all, I've used both, and they've both served their purposes very well. I hope they work for you as well as they did for me.

image_14720.jpg

If those are the ones you are talking about (seems to be some confusion in the thread) they are indeed as good as any LIGHT duty clamp like this. Just check each one when you buy it to see if it slides and locks correctly, one out of maybe 10 is a little rough. I have about 50 of the 6" and 48 6" ones I bought from Peachtree when they were on some stupid sale, I use them for curved laminate clamping and they do just fine. Over the years I have thrown out 3-4 when I broke them but I was asking them to do more than I should have been.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.