Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Cases

Tool Cases

I got tired of forgetting my Makita cordless drill/impact kit at home when I head to the cabin, so I bought a less expensive combo kit at Home Depot to keep at the cabin.

Here's the problem, the kit didn't come with a hard tool case. It came packed in a bag that is so small I can't get the kit back in, let alone store some driver bits, drill bits, and a few screws in it.

I've looked on the bay for hard cases and I'm a little apprehensive to buy cause the tools may not fit. The boxes I've seen look good but they're for different brands then Ridgid.

What do you folks do for a hard case when your cordless tool come in a useless bag?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

(hint)This is a wood working forum....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    (hint)This is a wood working forum....
    I hear ya. But I think plastic would be lighter and last longer.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I've got a shelf full of hard cases that I never use. I prefer the CLC tool bags, of which I have 5. The Dewalt bags are not too bad either - I have a couple of those.

I prefer bags over hard cases. The HF bags are pretty cheap and seem to hold up fine.

As far as the useless boxes left over from old tools, all the ones I've seen are injection molded. One of these days I intend to cut the tool form out of a couple to make a hard storage box for some other tool. I intend to cut dense foam to fit a tool and accessories similar to a fitted gun case...just haven't found the need yet.

I have a Makita combo kit that came with a bag and I find that the bag works out very well for transporting them around. So, +1 on Wes Ramsey's comment. The prices that HF charges for theirs makes them very affordable and I also see bags on craigslist all the time for next to nothing.

20 years or so ago--while we were relocating the stairway to my Dad's basement, my first cordless tools and other hand tools were lugged to their house every weekend for 2 or so months. Used a beat-up Samsonsite briefcase--worked great.
    earl

Yeah I was disappointed at first that my Makita combo set came with a bag instead of a hard case, but it is actually spacious and more versatile. I can fit most the tools and hardware I'd need for a small job.

Okay, Okay. You fellas convinced me to at least swing by HF to check out their bags. I think Menards may have some of the CLC ones, I'll check those too.

I use HF tool bags, seem to work great for hauling specific tools to my cabin. Lots of stuff I just bought at HF to keep at cabin. The good stuff (MiniMax, Makita, Milwaukee, Delta, etc) stays in my shop at home. Randy

Harbor freight also has metal cases that might work.

12. There are different alternatives to a hard case for your Makita cordless drill, but I believe you should just choose the simple option by getting a Makita tool case; most Makita tool cases or Hard cases provide the perfect fit. Otherwise, you can consider buying something like a Terry Plastics 010 Power Tool Case, which I personally find very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I got tired of forgetting my Makita cordless drill/impact kit at home when I head to the cabin, so I bought a less expensive combo kit at Home Depot to keep at the cabin.

Here's the problem, the kit didn't come with a hard tool case. It came packed in a bag that is so small I can't get the kit back in, let alone store some driver bits, drill bits, and a few screws in it.

I've looked on the bay for hard cases and I'm a little apprehensive to buy cause the tools may not fit. The boxes I've seen look good but they're for different brands then Ridgid.

What do you folks do for a hard case when your cordless tool come in a useless bag?
    Take a look at the Milwaukee Packout system. I bought one a month ago and really like it

Our local Ace had a sale a while back for 1 small and 1 large Craftsman tool bag for $11.99 or something like that. I bought 4 of them. Only problem is telling what is in the bag from the outside.

I also use the Ridgid hard toolboxes with the small parts bins inside. I remove the bins from one side and there is room for a drill and other small items in the box. Pretty well built.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Only problem is telling what is in the bag from the outside.
    For a different hobby I have a bunch of bags that all look the same, I used to use a little length of colored string to identify what the bag contained. A couple of years ago I got a pack of 24 little carabineers from Amazon for 5-6 bucks and it has 8 different colors and I just have a different color attached to each bags handles. It does require keeping mental track of which color relates to which item which is easy if you use them often, harder if not.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.