Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just starting out

1. I'm a 'traditional' (minimalist, archaic, cheap, whatever) woodworker and I can't recommend Jeff Miller's "The Foundation Of Better Woodworking" enough. It goes over body mechanics, diagnoses some common beginner mistakes, and is an all around essential read. Dude even gets into the nitty gritty about parallax when trying to view objects from certain angles, he's the real deal, lol. He goes over proper body positioning for power tools, too. I understand wanting to be hand tool only, clearly :P, but that's good extra information to keep in your pocket, regardless.

"The New Traditional Woodworker" by Jim Tolpin is another excellent book in the minimalist vein. Has some great projects for a beginner, as well.

"The Essential Woodworker" by Robert Wearing is something I consider necessary reading. Unfortunately I found it too late in my journey, yet it was still enjoyable to read and I felt wistful I didn't find it sooner.

"The Handplane Book" by Garrett Hack... self explanatory, buy it or rent it from the library. Great, informative book on handplanes and the use thereof.

"The Complete Guide to Sharpening" by Leonard Lee, a pretty authoritative text on sharpening the entire family of hand tools. Chisel/saw/plane blade sharpening videos saturate youtube, each with their own flavor, so this isn't a necessary book. But when you want a little more detail, or want to know how to sharpen the rest of your tools, buy it!

This is a very small sample of what's there and what I've found to be the most value for your money. Make sure you're in the shop daily for at least 10 minutes practicing some skill, whether it be sawing, planing, sharpening, etc. It's easy to hibernate with all of this information, to "wait until you're ready". Don't. Go screw up a bunch of projects and have fun doing it! Your fire place will be well-fed

Blog Entries
    A quick read on the use of hand planes is online:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...MediumFine.pdf

(Search > coarse medium fine hand planes <)

Very informative on preparing a piece of wood from off the saw to finish ready.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Foster View Post
    So I have the book "All New Woodworking for Kids" on order from Ebay, I am going to get "The Naked Woodworker" on Friday, and pending what the video shows me, possibly some lumber on Saturday to start doing this stuff. Does anyone have any further recommendations?
    For a "starter" workbench I suggest going to your local recycler (ReStore, Second Use, etc.) and buying a solid core door for the top. Create a solid base using Kiln Dried framing lumber, add a vice or two and you have a solid surface upon which you can play with your new/used tools. It is inexpensive and will enable you to get down the road.

BTW- after over 50 years of "professional" woodworking my main bench still has a solid core door as the substrate for the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A quick read on the use of hand planes is online:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...MediumFine.pdf

(Search > coarse medium fine hand planes <)

Very informative on preparing a piece of wood from off the saw to finish ready.

jtk
    Excellent article. That gave me a whole new perspective of tools and their uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    For a "starter" workbench I suggest going to your local recycler (ReStore, Second Use, etc.) and buying a solid core door for the top. Create a solid base using Kiln Dried framing lumber, add a vice or two and you have a solid surface upon which you can play with your new/used tools. It is inexpensive and will enable you to get down the road.

BTW- after over 50 years of "professional" woodworking my main bench still has a solid core door as the substrate for the top.
    How do I find out if there are any recyclers near me? I tried to google it and all i got was a bunch of bottle redemption centers.

How do I find out if there are any recyclers near me? I tried to google it and all i got was a bunch of bottle redemption centers.
    Try Google for Recycled Building Materials. Also check Craig's List for Doors or Building Materials under "Materials".

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Try Google for Recycled Building Materials. Also check Craig's List for Doors or Building Materials under "Materials".
    Walmart sells them right? Screenshot_20181129-220653_Chrome.jpg

Could get the one Harbor Freight sells...add a few pieces of 3/4" plywood to stiffen the base up...and get to work.

Blog Entries
    Try a search on architectural salvage. See if there are any listings under building dismantlers. Sometime one has to ask around. Another source to seek is Habitat for Humanity.

The listing in your post for River House Wares looks like a good start. Find out who is there competition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Try a search on architectural salvage. See if there are any listings under building dismantlers. Sometime one has to ask around. Another source to seek is Habitat for Humanity.

The listing in your post for River House Wares looks like a good start. Find out who is there competition.

jtk
    Kory Cassel and I have been going over a top in the design forum that doesnt require glue. I think that instead of repurposing an old door for my top, I think that I am going to do that. I am going to check out that architectural salvage place though. The main reason that I probably won't do the door idea is because I want it to be 100% me and if that takes more time and effort, then so be it.

Kory Cassel and I have been going over a top in the design forum that doesnt require glue. I think that instead of repurposing an old door for my top, I think that I am going to do that. I am going to check out that architectural salvage place though. The main reason that I probably won't do the door idea is because I want it to be 100% me and if that takes more time and effort, then so be it.
    Kyle,

Most doors are too wide for a good workbench bench. Total width needs to be around 24" to 26" with a 11" to 18" work surface. A workbench can be too wide, too long, if you have room is not a problem.

Find a hunk of 8/4 or 12/4 wood, it makes no never mind what kind. It can be anything from DF or SYP to Poplar or Hard Maple that is wide enough (11" to 18" or so) and long enough for a slab and then build a base for it. Either a French or Moravian type base is an easy build and then go to work.

Folks spend too much time either cheaping out and end up with something that is unusable or planing and maybe even building the Taj Mahal of workbenches and never getting around to making things. I love to build benches but truth is they are a tool and like buying old tools and restoring them they can keep you from making things.

Don't over think, keep it simple, heavy and strong, then go to work on it. It six months or a year things about it will drive you to barking at the moon. Then it will be time to build another where you fix the problems. After a while that build will also have things that need addressing, so you build another. In time you will find what works for you. No one, no amount of research can tell you what it is, only time spent working on a bench has the answers.

As always, YMMV.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-30-2018 at 11:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am going to check out that architectural salvage place though.
    You might casually ask where they are listed in the phone book. That is where other people in similar businesses will likely also be listed.

jtk