Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just starting out

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Foster View Post
    Thank you so very much! That video is exactly what I need right now I think. I have been going to the thrift store down the road and picking through their tools for ones that dont look too horrible, but when you dont really know what you're doing, you're shooting in the dark. The book is now added to my Christmas wish list also.
    Here is a link to the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....al-wisdom-FAQs

The information provided in many of the posts will help you to "know what you're doing."

In the old system of masters and apprenticeships one of the early tasks taught to new apprentices was how to sharpen. If you do not have a set up to sharpen, then you may want to search SMC for sharpening threads or start a new one. Each system has advantages and disadvantages. One system is not the best for everyone. In my case it seems multiple systems work best for me. My current major project is to set up a grinder to be able to hollow grind some of my tools. A hollow grind is made by the curved face of a grinding wheel. A hollow grind also makes it much easier to feel a blade register on a stone when free hand sharpening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Here is a link to the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....al-wisdom-FAQs

The information provided in many of the posts will help you to "know what you're doing."

In the old system of masters and apprenticeships one of the early tasks taught to new apprentices was how to sharpen. If you do not have a set up to sharpen, then you may want to search SMC for sharpening threads or start a new one. Each system has advantages and disadvantages. One system is not the best for everyone. In my case it seems multiple systems work best for me. My current major project is to set up a grinder to be able to hollow grind some of my tools. A hollow grind is made by the curved face of a grinding wheel. A hollow grind also makes it much easier to feel a blade register on a stone when free hand sharpening.

jtk
    Learning to sharpen is on the list of things to learn. It comes immediately after building the bench. I have done a little cleaning on the tools that I picked up at the thrift shop down the road in the kitchen and the wife wasn't happy with me making a mess (that I cleaned up) in there.

Blog Entries
    Learning to sharpen is on the list of things to learn. It comes immediately after building the bench. I have done a little cleaning on the tools that I picked up at the thrift shop down the road in the kitchen and the wife wasn't happy with me making a mess (that I cleaned up) in there.
    My experience is to not clean tools in the house and the wife won't come in to the shop to wash dishes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My experience is to not clean tools in the house and the wife won't come in to the shop to wash dishes.

jtk
    Jim is a smart man. I will sneak my oil stones into the dishwasher sometimes when MsBubba isn't looking. Of course it is easy to do because I own the dirty dishes and the washer. But in her defence she has never once vacuumed the shop floor.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim is a smart man. I will sneak my oil stones into the dishwasher sometimes when MsBubba isn't looking. Of course it is easy to do because I own the dirty dishes and the washer. But in her defence she has never once vacuumed the shop floor.

ken
    He sounds like a very smart fellow. If I wasn't in a rental, I would try to use this as an excuse to get plumbing in the shop.

Don’t laugh...I recommend the “All New Woodworking for Kids” by Kevin McGuire. I got it 20 years ago to teach my kids some practical skills & I was more interested than they were. He is all hand tool & is basic & fun. He guides you through basic projects such as bench hooks, a miter box, and an easy to build starter workbench that ( with modification) I use today. He has projects using braces & bits, coping saws, and rasps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Don’t laugh...I recommend the “All New Woodworking for Kids” by Kevin McGuire. I got it 20 years ago to teach my kids some practical skills & I was more interested than they were. He is all hand tool & is basic & fun. He guides you through basic projects such as bench hooks, a miter box, and an easy to build starter workbench that ( with modification) I use today. He has projects using braces & bits, coping saws, and rasps.
    Found a used one on Ebay for $4. Its on it's way niw

Found a used one on Ebay for $4. Its on it's way niw
    Great! You will love it - it is a great place to start.

So I have the book "All New Woodworking for Kids" on order from Ebay, I am going to get "The Naked Woodworker" on Friday, and pending what the video shows me, possibly some lumber on Saturday to start doing this stuff. Does anyone have any further recommendations?

I am doing a build along of a small table....maybe skim through it, and see if there is anything you'd like to try.....

And, any questions you may have, feel free to ask them...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I am doing a build along of a small table....maybe skim through it, and see if there is anything you'd like to try.....

. I agree with Steve, Kyle. Steve shows you what he does in pictures and words ...I think your best resource is knowledgeable forum members who will guide you through any woodworking challenge you will encounter.

I think the thread broke. I got 2 emails saying that there are 2 more replies here but nothing on my page and no page 3 that I can see

Go to top of thread & locate display. Press on it & switch to linear ... see if that helps....
    I think the thread broke. I got 2 emails saying that there are 2 more replies here but nothing on my page and no page 3 that I can see

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Go to top of thread & locate display. Press on it & switch to linear ... see if that helps....
    Thank you. Fixed now

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

I will give it a read through tonight after I get done work. I tried to give it a quick peek earlier and wasn't able to devote that much time to it without the bosses wondering what was up.