Thread: Inquiry of a few people haven't seen in quite awhile?

Inquiry of a few people haven't seen in quite awhile?

Hey guys, there is a couple of people I was hoping we're ok and wondering if you all knew what happened to them, one being Scott Heckler, really enjoyed the stuff that he made and would love to see him back on here and second Robbie the wood Turner, not sure if he has ever appeared on here but I'm sure a lot of us have enjoyed his YouTube channel, well that's it. Just hoping some can fill me in on these guys, thanks.

Ron, Scott Hackler last logged on to SMC on July 9, 2018. For the past few years I think he was active on WoW and on Woodturners Unlimited (WTU.) WTU has closed down, but I don’t know Scott’s present activity as I haven’t been active on either of those sites, or even SMC very much. I have noticed the participation here has diminished and I suspect that has happened with many forums - likely because of social media being used instead.

Left click my name for homepage link.

3. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ron, Scott Hackler last logged on to SMC on July 9, 2018. For the past few years I think he was active on WoW and on Woodturners Unlimited (WTU.) WTU has closed down, but I don’t know Scott’s present activity as I haven’t been active on either of those sites, or even SMC very much. I have noticed the participation here has diminished and I suspect that has happened with many forums - likely because of social media being used instead.
    John, like you I also have scaled back my activity on SMC, but do usually check in most days just to see what is being talked about. I hope you will continue to check in also.....your participation always adds value to this forum!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Scott and his wife have taken on a new business and I assume they are quite busy.

I talked to Jim Adkins a couple months back and he mentioned seeing Scott at SWAT in August. Scott had a gift for Jim...a bunch of T-shirts. Sounds like Scott is in the printed shirt business and the shirts given to Jim have the following; JIM ADKINS
    Dexter, MO
    Native American Basket Illusions
    Turned From Wood, Decorated To Perfection
    How do I know all this??? Because Jim sent me a shirt, for which I'm very grateful.

Robbie stopped making video about 3 years ago because of health problems & I read somewhere he was in rehab but don't know any more. I always liked his videos!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Sorry guys , I'm a dunce, forgot I even made this thread. Sorry to hear about Robbie and hope he is doing ok.
    And thanks for the information on Scott , I would have totally forgotten about this thread if I hadn't ran into some of his work on Pinterest. Well I hope they're both doing well, miss them both.

I rarely visit SMC anymore because it’s not mobile friendly. I’ve brought this up with the moderators. I rarely am sitting at a computer browsing forums anymore. I can’t see or post pics from my phone, so I tend to gravitate to sites I can visit when I have a few minutes to burn on my phone. SMC is gathering dust over in the corner for me. Which is a shame. There’s value in the experience and knowledge of folks here. I wish they would at least enable forum runner but they won’t. This is the only forum I ever donated money to but not anymore.
    Where did I put that?

Traffic does seem to be down on all of the forums. As far as being friendly to the mobile phones, I don't see how people can type on those tiny things.... I don't have any apps on my phone, or internet..... Kind of a fossil I know....

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    I rarely visit SMC anymore because it’s not mobile friendly. I’ve brought this up with the moderators. I rarely am sitting at a computer browsing forums anymore. I can’t see or post pics from my phone, ...
    Hi Rob, I can see pics on my phone -- an iPhone 6S. I can't help with any tech stuff, but I bet someone could if you posted in the tech support forum. I haven't tried posting pics from my phone, but I'd be surprised if that was not also an option.

If I run the desktop version of SMC I can see photos. It’s not ideal but I can. Text is small. I have to scroll around.

Go go ahead and try to post a pic from your phone and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Im fairly tech savvy. This isn’t user error. I’ve had this discussion with the tech support people and the answer has been ‘working on it’ for years now.

I realize most woodworkers are the older/retired folks but it’s a mobile world. If you don’t attract new members you’ll eventually have no members. I’m in my 40s. I have friends who don’t even own a computer anymore and just use mobile devices. Woodworking is all over youtube and Instagram. As an online presence SMC will eventually shrivel up to nothing if they aren’t willing to update from a software model that is outdated.
    Where did I put that?

Rob, I have posted pics from my iPhone 6 several times. It is a bit more cumbersome, but I don't find it prohibitive. I also don't have any trouble seeing everything the same as from my desktop. But, I use the full website version on my phone. As I recall, you do have to chose to do that.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post

Go go ahead and try to post a pic from your phone and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Im fairly tech savvy. This isn’t user error.
    Ok, here goes:
    025AC825-2A80-47E5-A6FD-604ECEE666A5.jpg
    If it works, this is a vanity I built recently. Off topic, I know.

IMG_20181216_141952_888.jpg

Test - posted from my old Motorola droid-x phone. Feeding the horses.

I do hate typing on this thing.

Now go to any other forum and try to post a picture and you’ll see what I’m talking about. yes, it’s technically possible to post pretending to be a desktop computer, you can’t post from the mobile version. I should have been more precise, but it’s a PITA to the point where it’s not worth it for me.
    Where did I put that?