Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC produced boxes and ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The thing is, if it's moving, it doesn't care what it's cutting and it pretty much wears the same. These machines are expensive, I'm hoping to wear mine out quickly, but not without being able to pay for a few dozen more machines in the process.
    I agree to an extent though a machine breaking down panels at full thickness running wide open all day long is doing a heck of a lot more on the wear side of the machine (spindle, servos, and so on) than one running super light passes but for sure, the screws are turning without a doubt. I dont get too worried about it but if we are doing repetitious fixture work I will even move the fixture around the machine a bit from day to day as not to wear a single corner or zone of the machine excessively. Other than breaking down panels, my fourth zone (back near the tool rack) sees about nothing but rapids lol.

Mark, I do think that you are correct that running a lot of small stuff can eventually produce "wear zones" because we tend to do them in the same position on the machine for speed and convenience. I even set memorized center points for X-Y for these kind of jobs. But I'm also paying more attention to lubrication...I learned that awhile back when I was starting to get some funny noise while running the chair seats for Brian and fortunately, it was just a need for grease.
    ------

In other news, I picked up a nice stick of lacewood this morning to run a few of the larger boxes with and wow...beautiful result. (Photos will come once they are finished and flocked)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For sure. We are diligent with regards to lube. But call me anal. When I see the machine working in a single area all day long I want to spread that wear out over the 6000 square inches of the machine as opposed to the same 800 over and over.

I do spread "different" things out to different places on the machine bed, but try to be consistent for a particular thing because it cuts down on "my" mistakes. LOL
    --

5. Those look great. Do you mind sharing what you are using for the hinges and red felt looking material?

Im trying to make a jewelry box for my wife for Christmas but having trouble figuring out the finish materials. At this point it might have to be a Valentines present.

The hinges are 5mm x15mm barrel hinges from Lee Valley and the flocking is, well...flocking...using the kit available also available from Lee Valley and other sources. The flocking is a little finicky relative to getting the paint/adhesive on thick and even, but I'm starting to "get a clue" at this point.
    --