Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley's Cyber Monday sale - what did you get?

Lee Valley's Cyber Monday sale - what did you get?

The Cyber Monday sale is 35 minutes old as I write this, and I'm finished (not "done" - I'm Canadian) and checked out. Budget spent.
    Got a large shoulder plane to go with my medium one, and a #4 bevel down, plus a 14 deg dovetail marker and a $500.00 gift card.
    Had to pass on the Bevel up jointer and the the #6 fore plane since I have a Record jointer as well as a wonderful old (Are you listening in Aus, Stewie?) #6.
    Didn't have the guts to add to my Credit Card balance with the shooting plane. Oh well.
    Would have liked a right skew rabbet, but only being sold as a pair, so .... I'll look at a 78 or 778 on eBay.
    Who scored what?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I got the shooting plane and a #4 bevel down. Missed out on the medium shoulder plane - it was the first in my basket, but I didn't check out in time :-(

Looks like I got your shoulder plane. So, so sorry...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Curtis View Post
    Looks like I got your shoulder plane. So, so sorry...
    So you’re the culprit. How stinking fast did you check out? It was gone in 60 seconds! (Movie pun intended). Also the mini rabbet planes went rather quick. Missed them as well. I did get the butane burner for warming hide glue and accidentally burning down my shop, and some other nick nack items.

If I lived in Canada, I would probably have sprung for the $1000 gift card. Great way to lower the price on a bandsaw or other large item.

The best stuff went so quickly, was looking at the cabinet scraper and it Sold Out like magic before my eyes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kory Cassel View Post
    The best stuff went so quickly, was looking at the cabinet scraper and it Sold Out like magic before my eyes!
    Sorry- that was me. ***edit- The set of 3 scrapers, not the scraper plane.

You know, they should be considerate and make more blemishes each year. (Joking)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    So you’re the culprit. How stinking fast did you check out? It was gone in 60 seconds! (Movie pun intended). Also the mini rabbet planes went rather quick. Missed them as well. I did get the butane burner for warming hide glue and accidentally burning down my shop, and some other nick nack items.

If I lived in Canada, I would probably have sprung for the $1000 gift card. Great way to lower the price on a bandsaw or other large item.
    My only "gripe" with the Lee Valley sale is that putting a plane in your cart does not hold it, you have to buy immediately and pay multiple shipping for multiple items for any chance at the blems. I have another hobby that has made scrambles like this and the websites allow your cart to hold the item for 15 minutes so you can get your preselected items in the cart and paid for, after 15 minutes it returns to live inventory if you haven't checked out. I have shifted approaches in order to reduce my anxiety and ensure I get what I want. I simply buy a $1000 gift certificate and use it at the next free shipping deal. You get about 20% off of blems but you get 15% off with the $1k gift card and when combined with free shipping you get a 1st quality (though LV blems are essentially first quality in my eyes) item for essentially the same price with zero stress and have your pick of any item. In the past the gift certificates have offered even better savings but this year the % off is lower so it becomes more of a wash.

I don't know if free shipping works to the USVI so YMMV.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I didnt buy anything this year. But I noticed that the Shooting Planes were sold out in less than 15 minutes. Hope some of you folks were the lucky buyers!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    My only "gripe" with the Lee Valley sale is that putting a plane in your cart does not hold it, you have to buy immediately and pay multiple shipping for multiple items for any chance at the blems. I have another hobby that has made scrambles like this and the websites allow your cart to hold the item for 15 minutes so you can get your preselected items in the cart and paid for, after 15 minutes it returns to live inventory if you haven't checked out. I have shifted approaches in order to reduce my anxiety and ensure I get what I want. I simply buy a $1000 gift certificate and use it at the next free shipping deal. You get about 20% off of blems but you get 15% off with the $1k gift card and when combined with free shipping you get a 1st quality (though LV blems are essentially first quality in my eyes) item for essentially the same price with zero stress and have your pick of any item. In the past the gift certificates have offered even better savings but this year the % off is lower so it becomes more of a wash.

I figure it might cause issues if they allowed you to hold stuff and then people never checked out. A time limit might work, but that would aid the hoarders. It’s a wash.

The free shipping for me has a limit and they credit up to that amount. Not as good as free, but still good.

Didn't see anything I couldn't live without, so I passed on the tools. I did pick up a gift card.

Besides the tools, I think you folks who buy the gift cards are the wisest.
    Yes, you're fronting the money, but you still get a great deal ongoing as you use the cards for future buys, and with the free shipping, what a deal!
    Being in Canada I don't pay the shipping on my incremental buys, but I get the stuff shipped to the store closest to me anyway. It's a 10 minute drive, and I visit the coffee bar AND my lumber supplier who's 2 minutes away at the same time.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    My big get was an early bedtime and a good night's sleep.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

When I buy concert tickets, after selecting seats, a digital clock tells me how much time is left for me to complete the purchase process. After that, my reserved tickets may not be held for me. I suppose that kind of system would be the best for events like this, but it could be too costly to develop and maintain for smaller businesses.

Regarding multiple shipping charges, I think if one contacts LV customer service, it would combine the orders for a single shipping fee (not necessarily an official policy, but LV is well known to accommodate customers' needs).

I saw that some of the good planes were gone within 10 minutes or so (no more than 15 mins for sure). I had the chance to get any planes within the first 5 minutes, but ended up getting a gift card instead. I was surprised that the DX60 was still available when I woke up (sold out by now) this morning. The shooting plane and the skew rabbet pair were the best deals in my view, but I have had them almost since day 1 they came out.

Simon

Some of the planes were gone within 3 minutes! I sat there hitting refresh until the sale started, had my items in my cart within a minute and STILL missed out on a scraper plane. Luckily, I scored the jointer I was after and a BU smoother for good measure.

Went into this year's sale needing the RH shooting plane, low angle smoother, large shoulder plane, and the router plane. I got all of it at exactly 12:00am Should have gotten the low angle jointer but didn't see it until it was too late. Oh well, something to look forward to for next year. Also didn't see *ANY* chisels this year compared to last year, so that's something to look forward to as well.

The gift card discount of 15% is nice if you don't need anything in this year's sale, but the discounts on the planes (at least the ones that I bought) were 25% or more so even with shipping it's still better than the GC idea.

Simon... thanks for pointing out the combined shipping idea. I guess it wouldn't hurt to call LV and ask!

I was surprised as well that the DX60 lasted as long as it did, compared to the regular low angle version which sold out within 30 minutes. I got a DX as a gift from the wife last year, but contemplated ordering a second one this morning just for the shelves since I've always liked the way it looks. Sold out though, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Regarding multiple shipping charges, I think if one contacts LV customer service, it would combine the orders for a single shipping fee (not necessarily an official policy, but LV is well known to accommodate customers' needs).

I saw that some of the good planes were gone within 10 minutes or so (no more than 15 mins for sure). I had the chance to get any planes within the first 5 minutes, but ended up getting a gift card instead. I was surprised that the DX60 was still available when I woke up (sold out by now) this morning. The shooting plane and the skew rabbet pair were the best deals in my view, but I have had them almost since day 1 they came out.

Simon