Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Cabinet - Clark Kellogg Inspired

Blog Entries

Wall Cabinet - Clark Kellogg Inspired

Clark's pieces often have interesting details that the casual observer would miss. A wall cabinet of his in a Fine Woodworking article caught my eye about this time last year. LOML wanted a small display-type wall cabinet so that gave me the excuse to try something in his vein.

Here's my general target.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (0).JPG

I use a curved sole plane to make a curved door which I mount with knife hinges.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (9).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (66).jpg

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (75).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (76).jpg

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (79).jpg

I use the same plane to make raised drawer bottoms for the small drawers.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (114).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (115).jpg

cont'd
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    The back is frame and panel following Clark's approach. The shooting board makes fitting these fussy pieces a breeze.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (120).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (121).jpg

And here's where I am so far.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (122).jpg

It is just dry fit and the rear panel is just a piece of scrap standing-in so you can get the general idea.

– Samuel Butler

Good stuff! Look forward to seeing the rest of your build Glenn.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Some crazy nice maple there Glenn. Your work looks up to your usual excellent standard, too. Your shop is far too clean though. How do you get anything done?

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys ;-)

This figured material is a great place for a top/bottom bearing bit to assure routing downhill. I faired the top curve and end angles and then used that for a template for the bottom.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (123).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (124).jpg

This lets me put a rough profile on each half as well using part of a large roundover bit.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (125).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (126).jpg

I use a shave to tune the profile to my liking and you can see the opposing profiles here.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (127).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (128).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (129).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-27-2018 at 8:34 AM.

– Samuel Butler

Beautiful work, Glenn. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build. Gotta love that shooting plane, huh? Mine touches every project.
    By the way, what finish schedule do you plan to use?
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 11-27-2018 at 8:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Beautiful work, Glenn. Look forward to seeing the rest of the build. Gotta love that shooting plane, huh? Mine touches every project.
    By the way, what finish schedule do you plan to use?
    The request is that it remain fairly light. Acrylic clear coats will do this but, I plan to show LOML some samples where the tiger pops a bit more and try to sway her that direction. This is a sort of 'display case' for her son's keepsake urn and some personal items from his childhood so razzle-dazzle is not the theme here. I do want to show the beauty of the wood though, just without it hollering at me. I'll post the final protocol in case others like it

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn. I’m working on a box with curly maple and playing with stain/sand/stain/sand, etc. Haven’t really found a color I like...subtle, but enhancing. Probably similar to what your looking for. Will be interested in what you end up doing.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks Glenn. I’m working on a box with curly maple and playing with stain/sand/stain/sand, etc. Haven’t really found a color I like...subtle, but enhancing. Probably similar to what your looking for. Will be interested in what you end up doing.
    Thanks!
    I'm hijacking my own thread but, here's a stain (dark), sand, stain (light), sand, method on some maple.

Larry Frame (14).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-28-2018 at 8:46 AM. Reason: clarity

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    This is the finish sample that won the bake-off. the flash really kills the depth of the chatoyance but, you get the idea. I'm glad I was able to urge things in a less 'stark white' direction. that is a nice look but, I like a bit of amber in my lighter woods. This is just a random piece of scrap. I prepared the surface the same as the actual parts.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (131).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (130).jpg

Super simple. Sand with 220 to open things up and flood the surface with a 1-1/2lb cut of clear dewaxed shellac. I apply the shellac out of a squirt bottle and follow the stream with a pad working in a circular motion to drive the liquid deep into the figure. Sand to 320 and repeat, sand to 400. I will apply a wax but, that is not present in the pics.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-27-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: 475

– Samuel Butler

That looks great, Glenn. I’m playing with dye/sand/dye/sand right now. Depending on how it turns out, I may just have to follow your schedule. Thanks for sharing that.

Blog Entries
    The screws that come with the Brusso hinges are a bit too long for my comfort.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (133).jpg

I nip them off with a small pair of Harbor Freight bolt cutters that I have. I run a steel screw in to pre-cut the threads. Since these are typical wood screws I drill a counter bore for the shank. These are extra steps but, I cannot remember the last time I broke a brass screw .

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (135).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (136).jpg

I will use a combination of a CA glue designed for wood and Titebond III to allow me to speed this along. I use PVA glue on all the inner tenons and use the DAP CA product for the outer tenons. The DAP product is fully cured in 30 minutes. Although I do remove clamps and continue working after 30 minutes or so with PVA, I only do this with assemblies that do not require a lot of handling. I prefer to leave glue over night before continuing work as a rule. The CA product lets me move on confidently after 30 minutes. The tenons glued with it act like little internal clamps while the PVA sets and I continue working.

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (139).jpg . Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (140).jpg

Papa November Romeo

Kellogg Inspired Wall Cab (141).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-03-2018 at 8:44 AM. Reason: 745

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Managed to squeeze in some time. This is why we keep those random odd-ball clamps around.

I use some gaboon ebony to shape some pulls.

Pardon the tape, that is just to get the position right. I drill small stopped holes in the drawer face and in the back of the pull. I cut short snips of wire to act as tiny dowels (learned this trick making small boxes) and epoxy them on. Now for some fun with the floating panels in the back frame. First a practice run on some scrap.

OK, got it. I cut out the panels on the bandsaw, route a small rabbet around each panel and groove the frame parts.
    Look, its a puzzle!

Slide in the floating tenons and the panels.

Continuous figure across the panels, of course

I've said this at least three times but, I swear, this is the last dry fit.

I will glue up the back frame and route some keyhole slots to hang it by. I need to run a hand plane over several of the surfaces and apply some clear shellac as the finish. The next post should be with it all done.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-08-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: 946

– Samuel Butler

Cannot wait to see the finished product.

The only Clark Kellogg that I have seen is the former NBA player. I will have to check out the one who does cabinetry since your piece is so appealing. Great eye and beautiful wood selection. Curious about how the drawer pull were made.

Thanks for including all the great photos.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Curious about how the drawer pull were made.
    I break down ebony billets to a range of sizes that I use regularly for detail elements. These pulls are quite small so, I really just band-sawed them out of scrap. I then used a disc sander to gently arc the back (the drawer fronts are curved to match the carcass) till they sat flush. I used a spindle sander to rough form the dimple on each side to give your fingers something to grip. The rough form is finished with some small Ramelson carving gouges that I have for such things and a bit of 400 grit sandpaper for the flats.

– Samuel Butler