Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reverse on a shaper ,advice needed

Reverse on a shaper ,advice needed

Ok so I am currently looking at two different shapers that do not have reverse. Both are three phase machines and I have checked into adding a switch. It is going to cost me 500ish for switch. Square D barrel switch or drum switch. Have any of you done this ? One other question ,if one does then is a concern to have a "locknut"or shaped washer on the spindle ? Shaper one is a Ema . Shaper two is a Wadkin. Both are solid capable machines with 1.25'' spindles and other than not having capabilities to switch spindle directions are everything I need. Is this something that I absolutely need? I know that I want it. Mike.

Have shaper with reverse on it... actually never used reverse in over 20 years...
    If you put reverse on it...make very sure you have proper lock nuts, etc so the cutter will not come loose...
    Definitely recommend you DO NOT put reverse on it for that reason...
    Made a lot of molding, flooring, raised panels, etc and found no need to ever reverse it..

There will be guys at Canadian woodworking familiar with the Wadkin build and Darcy may know if the EMA is set up for reverse. A drum switch can be found on ebay for much less than 500. There are also reversing mag starters that can be sourced there. The spindle does need to have either a key for a washer with a set screw or a double nut. Some of the old shapers also had a mechanical oil pump that only allowed the spindle to run in one direction. I've only run in reverse a few times so I don't consider it a big deal but when you need it it seems like one. Dave

I have cutters with a two radai so reverse is needed if you reference from the table. A reversing switch should be more like $50. Just do not reverse until it stops spinning. To reverse three phase just switch any two power leads. A drum switch is all you need for under 10 hp or so. You may want to consider a separate reverse switch and keep the existing on/off switch. The reverse switch is seldom used and need not be that convenient of aloctaion.
    Bill
    D.

http://hastalavista.me/dayton-motors...de-three-11-7/

If It's three phase, get yourself a vfd and it'll give you reverse, plus infinite speed selection as well as motor braking and a slow ramp up if you want it.

Depending on the power, it's probably cheaper than the options you describe. I use reverse regularly on my small machine.

B

horsepower and voltage will make a difference in switch gear costs.

Ok so further information . I already have a RPC installed. Also switches are going to be what they are because I will be limited to a switch with CSA approval only as I am in Alberta.Thanks for all the replies.Myself I have used the reverse switch on my 3h.p. shaper a few times. I like the idea of being able to choose to run a cutter "submerged''. Also I am thinking of my rabbeting cutterhead with inserts and being able to reverse and use both edges of the inserts,etc. Both of these shapers are 4h.p. 230 volt three phase. I may consider the vfd option if cost is comparable or cheaper.

Bill thanks for the link.

A switch will probably be the least expensive option.

A vfd wouldn't be that much money though and it would offer up some things already mentioned.

Square-D components are crazy expensive. Siemens is usually quite a bit less.

If you are only using it for reverse and not for the main on/off switching as well a cheap made in China switch from the bay should be good enough.
    How is shipping from China to Canada anyway? In the USA China can ship goods into the USA for a total delivered cost of under one dollar for many items. Of course you have to wait several weeks. These same items would cost several dollars just to ship within the USA.
    Bil lD.

Bill I have not ordered anything directly from China. I looked on the bay after your post and found a Dayton switch that will work for $126 . Thanks that saves me a bunch of money. Maybe I will buy more shaper tooling right away .U.S> shipping is dirt cheap, the switch I found was thru ebay.ca and they wanted $83 to ship to Canada. Went on ebay.com and it is 10.95 U.S. They must think we are really dumb.

I occasionally run in reverse with a little extra torque and double nut, have never had an issue. I do not run large cutters with a big cut this way however.

My shaper has reverse built in from the factory.

I don't use it often, however when you need it, you really need it.

You'll use it for running cutters below the table and for pattern copying to deal with grain direction changes.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Ok so further information . I already have a RPC installed. Also switches are going to be what they are because I will be limited to a switch with CSA approval only as I am in Alberta.Thanks for all the replies.Myself I have used the reverse switch on my 3h.p. shaper a few times. I like the idea of being able to choose to run a cutter "submerged''. Also I am thinking of my rabbeting cutterhead with inserts and being able to reverse and use both edges of the inserts,etc. Both of these shapers are 4h.p. 230 volt three phase. I may consider the vfd option if cost is comparable or cheaper.
    Hi Mike, I have 3ph power as well, but still put VFDs on each of my shapers....they really are that nice! I have a big, 4 speed Wadkin EQ and though it has a brake, I still use the vfd brake.

B

Just open up the starter and switch two wires if you want to run it backwards.