Thread: End grain cutting board not smooth after mineral oil

End grain cutting board not smooth after mineral oil

I have made two end grain cutting boards and finished with mineral oil. The boards were put up so they would have plenty of air fir a few days. Today I got them and all of the maple was prowd of the other species (walnut, cherry). Just enough to notice.

I did not raise the grain before finishing. Was this my mistake?

They were in clamps for longer than 24 hours for the glue to dry. Then i used a drum sander to finish to 150. Then R.O.S. to 180 before the mineral oil.

Can I sand again? Then re-oil.
    Or just not worry about it?

I can actually feel all the glue lines. The seams with the maple are more prominent.

I’ve never raised the grain nor experienced any change in the surface after mineral oil, but it shouldn’t be a problem to re-sand it.

It’s possible the wood wasn’t dry. I have an end table made of old air dryed walnut that was smooth at glue up but now has a bump at each glue line from continuing to dry/shrink in the climate controlled house.

Let the glue dry a bit more inside the house. Then sand it once again. Glue lines will swell if finished that quickly. I give mine at least 3 days before finishing.

Dan

You can just take some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and using the mineral oil, sand it again. You'll create a little bit of slurry, and that'll fill any holes and imperfections, as well. Smooth as a baby's bottom......until it gets used and washed.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    You can just take some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, and using the mineral oil, sand it again. You'll create a little bit of slurry, and that'll fill any holes and imperfections, as well. Smooth as a baby's bottom......until it gets used and washed.
    Won't this discolor the maple? As it is walnut and cherry as well.

It probably will muddy the maple a little. If you make a cutting board too pretty sometimes it won’t get used.
    If you want thinner glue line thin the glue a little bit. Longer clamp time and and wait a week before you sand it.
    Tb3 have lots solids it’s take a lot of pressure to squeeze out thick glue.
    Plus adding water to the wood puffs it up a little so now the wood needs time to react.
    I might be the wood shrinking back down leaving the glue proud.
    And always go with the grain.
    Good Luck
    Aj