Thread: LED Panels

LED Panels

I too have a shortish ceiling at just under 8' and currently have the typical surface mount two tube florescent fixtures (8' T12s). These LED panels are intriguing in that they are surface mount and are very thin. The ceiling is all Sheetrock. I suppose I could make or buy something to fit between the joists but that seems like more work when I could just mount panels. What do ya'll think of these panels in a wood shop?

Thanks
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

One of the advantages of the Fluorescents you have is the wide spread of light since they are even sending light up against the ceiling and spreading it around.

It will be nice to use flat panels for the additional clearance BUT you will have to use more of them to get even light distribution.

Without specifics on your space, figure 2-3 fixtures for every 8' 2 tube T-12 you are replacing and use 1x4' fixtures instead of the 2x4' in your link. This will give you light that is almost as even as what you have AND more light at the same time.

I bought this to update lighting in my shop when ballast went out on 8' 2 lamp fixture
    works so well I unplugged the other 8' fixture

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-6-B...53.m2749.l2649

Blog Entries
    Those panels would be a great solution to a low ceiling problem. True, you don't get as wide distribution as with surface strips, but they still spread the light fairly well. They're not at all like a pot light with a narrow pattern.

We've installed lots of the t-bar ceiling LED panels that are very similar to that one & they work very well.

Thanks guys for the great suggestions! Unfortunately the tombstone burned out on one of the fixtures so I might give some a try and will report back.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.