Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you listen to any woodworking podcast?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Used to get my grandfather to talk about WW1, somewhat reluctantly as the conditions in the trenches were beyond deplorable, beyond horrendous. After 5 minutes he just went silent and gazed at the wall.
    We can know every detail of these events and really know nothing of the experience of people like your grandfather. My grandfather was a WWII veteran and did not speak much of it until I made a phone call to him with questions prepared for my fourth grade project. He went into detail about his experience not previous shared with family members, I've found the events of early 20th century history interesting every since.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post

Simon, not sure what you are using to listen to them, but all the podcast apps I'm familiar with have a slider to navigate to any portion of the podcast. To do that, though, you have to download the pod to your device first. I use the Downcast app and have it set up to automatically download all the podcasts I listen to. And then it deletes them after I listen to them so they don't fill up the phone memory.
    I do most of my digital things on the computer. I suppose with the slider, you need to trial and error to find out what you want to start listening to. Music from the radio is the only thing played while I work in the shop.

Simon

Same opinion on Shop Talk, however I still do generally like listening to it. I also really like Bob Rozaieki's Hand Tools and Techniques podcast. Woodworkers Podcast is also good when they have unique guests on from time to time.

However I find that I can't really listen to them in the shop, guess I'm too much into my own headspace(same thing usually happens in my office work as well). Usually just ends up on the radio as background noise.

I enjoy Shop Talk Live while walking my dog. Just in case Ben Strano reads this forum and is feeling sad about the criticisms, I want to say that I enjoy his humor, hosting skills, and the musical outros that he puts together. Matt Kenney was fun and I was sorry to see him go. Mike Peckovich is great -- very knowledgeable, talented and humble. I do listen to the podcast more for entertainment than for information, however.

here here. Ben is no slouch. he is self effacing too much, imho. he is quite knowledgable and relateable. i loved matt kenney's work and he was as knowedgable as Mike P. But he had some snark on him. He would put down anyone and everyone - the other hosts, the questioners. I didn't appreciate that; made the questioner sound dumb for asking. The only person beyond his snark was Peckovitch - who notably has never been (intentionally) snarky. Even when he slips, he immediately apologizes in an endearing and genuine way.

Shoptalk is a little more "NPR"-esque in its tone. If Aneesa and Mike are on together I half expect then to start talking about Schwetty B@ll$ (hat tipped to SNL). They can also start getting a little wonky. This is partly because they sometimes do a video supplement. Mike P can go down the rabbit hole when describing his 'favorite technique' - it's usually some esoteric way of measuring of jigging up a table saw to be able to cut the pins and tails in a single pass... This tends to lose me. Especially when my daughter is in the car, eyes a-roll.

Woodtalk on the otherhand is more Beavis and Butthead meets Wayne's World. But they manage to squeeze a lot of great content in there. That's why Marc is so good. Weeks when he's not on the show really reveal how skilled he is in the format.

Woodtalk is great youtubers who are becoming professional. Shoptalk is a professional magazine trying to become more youtubesque.

Blah blah blah. I sound ridiculous.