Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What was Ford thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    The world would be a better place if each family took the time to get a permit and go into the woods and chop down a Christmas tree.
    Thousands of Christmas tree farmers or charities that run tree lots might not share your opinion not to mention emergency room physicians. Don't get me wrong, for some it's a great tradition but not everyone lives where that is practical and not everyone is that handy.

Frankly I don't know why anyone would want to CHOP down a tree for a Christmas tree anyway. Whenever I've gone out into the woods or onto a commercial tree farm to buy and cut a tree I've used a bowsaw. Chopping with an axe is inefficient and you end up with sap all over everything. Plus you still have to saw and trim the foot of the tree to fit into the stand. Yeah I'm the Grinch.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

We always used a bow saw, and it was stored in the same place as the tree stand. One year, another friend of mine stuck their Red Cedar Christmas tree in the ground, out in front of their house, after it had been used in the house for several weeks with no root ball. It not only survived, but grew to over 20 feet tall before they sold that house years later.

Blog Entries
    We have cut down Christmas trees with a bowsaw, a tree saw and a chainsaw. Around here the cut your own lots don't mind if you bring your own chainsaw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A bow saw was just lighter to carry if you have to walk far looking.

Any time we sell a stand of timber, someone complains that we're raping the land, or ruining the environment, usually while driving some large luxury SUV, or heavy sedan.

Once, someone told me, after a timber stand had grown for several years after it had been cut, "It looks so much better! What did you do?" I said I hadn't done anything, trees grow back.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-27-2018 at 8:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Once, someone told me, after a timber stand had grown for several years after it had been cut, "It looks so much better! What did you do?" I said I hadn't done anything, trees grow back.
    LOL!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Did you replant or was there enough seed and water that nature allowed regrowth or was this stump growth? Does it rain in summer in your location?
    I remember reading in college that basically all the natural oak trees in California had started in 1775. That must have been a good spring with rain that lasted into early summer so the tender young trees would live through summer. Probably early winter rains as well. The older parent trees had died off by then. There had not been a good enough season for 200 years later. 2016/18 was probably the next growing season with the proper rainfall total for new trees to flourish.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-27-2018 at 8:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Frankly I don't know why anyone would want to CHOP down a tree for a Christmas tree anyway. Whenever I've gone out into the woods or onto a commercial tree farm to buy and cut a tree I've used a bow saw. Chopping with an axe is inefficient and you end up with sap all over everything. Plus you still have to saw and trim the foot of the tree to fit into the stand. Yeah I'm the Grinch.
    I guess I walked into that one, didn't know everyone would take my comment so literally! I tend to "chop" with one of my three chain saws, or my pole saw, or my corona. Not sure what even happened to the bow saw I owned 40 years ago. I do have a hatchet I use for splitting kindling and an ax I use for chopping roots, and a splitting maul...

And I have had an artificial tree for so long I forget last time I actually cut down a Christmas tree, with my bow saw.
    NOW you tell me...

We get plenty of rain here, and there is really no need to replant. There are some laws, depending on which state you're in that either require replanting, or leaving "seed trees", but if Pines have been growing there before, they will come up like grass on a lawn without doing anything, so we are not required to replant here. Hardwoods will regrow from cut stumps, but no one around here replants hardwood trees anyway. Pines offer a much quicker return.

It's so funny that some people get so worked up about cutting trees. There are all sorts of funny bumper stickers, like: "If you use toilet paper, thank a logger."

There is one development here on the lake with all half acre lots, and apparently all the home owners came from a city. The landowner, that owns a decent sized timber stand that you drive through to get to that development was having his mature timber flagged for cutting. The lot owners in the lake development got all up in arms, complaining to the county, and ran adds in local newspapers to try to keep the land owner from selling his timber, because it would look so bad, be raping the land, and such.

He told the homeowners association that if they would pay him what the timber was worth that he wouldn't have it cut. They got all excited thinking this would be a good deal. When they found out that it would be about 600k, that ended that deal. Some said they thought that trees weren't worth anything. The timber was sold a few years ago, and it's already back to a thick stand of young Pines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    This may have some relation to the fact that Ford no longer makes police cars and will stop making cars next year. I believe thy will still assemble the Mustang, for some time, in the US from made in China parts.
    So why worry about getting caught by police on foot?
    Bill D.
    Where in blazes did you come up with that?
    Oh, that reminds me, I need to go get a tree and bring it home in my F-150.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    We get plenty of rain here, and there is really no need to replant. There are some laws, depending on which state you're in that either require replanting, or leaving "seed trees", but if Pines have been growing there before, they will come up like grass on a lawn without doing anything, so we are not required to replant here. Hardwoods will regrow from cut stumps, but no one around here replants hardwood trees anyway. Pines offer a much quicker return.

It's so funny that some people get so worked up about cutting trees. There are all sorts of funny bumper stickers, like: "If you use toilet paper, thank a logger."

There is one development here on the lake with all half acre lots, and apparently all the home owners came from a city. The landowner, that owns a decent sized timber stand that you drive through to get to that development was having his mature timber flagged for cutting. The lot owners in the lake development got all up in arms, complaining to the county, and ran adds in local newspapers to try to keep the land owner from selling his timber, because it would look so bad, be raping the land, and such.

He told the homeowners association that if they would pay him what the timber was worth that he wouldn't have it cut. They got all excited thinking this would be a good deal. When they found out that it would be about 600k, that ended that deal. Some said they thought that trees weren't worth anything. The timber was sold a few years ago, and it's already back to a thick stand of young Pines.
    Wonder where they were when the trees were being cut down to make way for their houses?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Where in blazes did you come up with that?
    Oh, that reminds me, I need to go get a tree and bring it home in my F-150.
    may be wrong but I know the engine for the Mustang is scheduled to be made in China. I belive the transmissions as well. The Ford Ranger automatic transmission has been made in France by an independent company for at least the last 20 years.
    I

I looked at Mustangs last year and the engines were already made in China. Transmissions for some of their other vehicles were from Mexico. We like to think its a US company, but they make their money overseas. Better get your new 150 before the aluminum tariffs kick in.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 11-29-2018 at 9:06 AM.

BLM issues Christmas Tree permits for a fee.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post

I don't see anything wrong with the commercial I guess. Now that a one they did several years ago with the guy pounding wood fenceposts in with a sledgehammer, that one infuriates me.
    Tell me why that infuriates you?