Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What was Ford thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Tell me why that infuriates you?
    Because that's not how you put wood fence posts in.

Ever see the old time fence builders drive wood posts in? Apparently not. They use sharpened posts, similar to a pencil end.
    Then they drive that post in, with a post maul (a little bigger and heavier than a sledge).
    Some used a sledge hammer out of necessity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=post...w=1024&bih=436

There's also a video showing how to use one.

We still get our trees from U.S Forest Service land. Permit is $10. The areas you can cut are logged over and replanted already. The quality is determined by how high into the mountains you can get with snow level being a determining factor. Never ever used an axe (that is a ridiculous way to cut a tree) but always used a bow saw. I don't think chain saws are allowed (at least here in Washington).
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ford must monitor the internet for feedback. I've not seen the commercial since.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    We still get our trees from U.S Forest Service land. Permit is $10. The areas you can cut are logged over and replanted already. The quality is determined by how high into the mountains you can get with snow level being a determining factor. Never ever used an axe (that is a ridiculous way to cut a tree) but always used a bow saw. I don't think chain saws are allowed (at least here in Washington).
    Next time the ad runs, check out how clean that "Axe cut" was by the time the tree is strapped on the car. It's perfectly flat and perpendicular to the trunk just like you would get with a saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I saw it last night

The one I see shows a woman, out in the woods, dragging a tree to her SUV with a little girl in tow. There is no one else around in the idyllic woodland winter setting. I don't understand the OP's gripe. Everybody in North America knows there are trespassing laws and property rights. I suppose starting out assuming the person would only do such a thing lawfully is too much to ask for. There are some pretty stiff fines for doing that in most states. On the other hand, assuming that everything shown on TV is illegal or leads to illegal activity, is a point of view or mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    ... Everybody in North America knows there are trespassing laws and property rights. ... There are some pretty stiff fines for doing that in most states....
    Long time ago a nature conservation place near here had a large, beautiful tree near the entrance (blue spruce, maybe). Sadly, someone cut it down then cut the top out, maybe to get a small enough Christmas tree to haul and fit in the house. The community was outraged. Chances are the criminal knew it was wrong but was never fined since he was never caught.

Sometime in the last 20 years we switched to an artificial tree. (Sorry, tree farmers.) The hassle, sap, mess, safety hazard, and rising cost of a real tree got to be too much. (I can't imagine the cost of a tree today.) I liked the smell, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Long time ago a nature conservation place near here had a large, beautiful tree near the entrance (blue spruce, maybe). Sadly, someone cut it down then cut the top out, maybe to get a small enough Christmas tree to haul and fit in the house. The community was outraged. Chances are the criminal knew it was wrong but was never fined since he was never caught.

Sometime in the last 20 years we switched to an artificial tree. (Sorry, tree farmers.) The hassle, sap, mess, safety hazard, and rising cost of a real tree got to be too much. (I can't imagine the cost of a tree today.) I liked the smell, though.
    We had trouble finding a tree this year. The cut your own lots have been closing. One seller told us the growers have had weather related problems. There were also a lot of growers who either planted less or dropped out of the business when hard times hit back in 2008. Trees planted in 2008 are just starting to hit the market this year for full size trees.

We are even thinking of growing trees for our own use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I planted 100 trees back in 1884 for personal Christmas trees. Well they soon outgrew our ceiling, so I let some area churches come and take trees. Now I have some 30 to 40 ft high. Maybe Rockafeller tree potential in 20 years.

Been thinking about planting some more, but odd balls, like sugar pine, loblolly, etc. I am tired of the usual connifers and figure if they grow, they will be quite the sight. Know a guy in suburban DC that had a beautiful sand hill pine growing in his yard. That is about 160 miles north of it's natural range. Another neighbor had a couple of liveoaks in Arlington VA. I am only 100 miles north of there. I planted live oaks two years ago, and 2/3 of them are still alive.

I planted 100 trees back in 1884 for personal Christmas trees. Well they soon outgrew our ceiling, so I let some area churches come and take trees. Now I have some 30 to 40 ft high. Maybe Rockafeller tree potential in 20 years.

Been thinking about planting some more, but odd balls, like sugar pine, loblolly, etc. I am tired of the usual connifers and figure if they grow, they will be quite the sight. Know a guy in suburban DC that had a beautiful sand hill pine growing in his yard. That is about 160 miles north of it's natural range. Another neighbor had a couple of liveoaks in Arlington VA. I am only 100 miles north of there. I planted live oaks two years ago, and 2/3 of them are still alive.
    I figure after 134 years, your trees would be much taller than 30-40 feet high if they have survived the years! How was life back in 1884?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    I figure after 134 years, your trees would be much taller than 30-40 feet high if they have survived the years! How was life back in 1884?

You too huh. Lol

We just go out on the back forty and cut a small cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You can find trees for not a lot of money but the larger trees have started to get harder to get and are pretty steep. We buy a ~22ft tree each year and the one we bought this year was $700 plus $75 to deliver it. I learned the hard way that you don't want to think of wrestling a tree this size into the house. I cut them into 4-5 pieces to remove them. These big trees are in demand though, there is only one place in town that brings a decent selection of large trees in and we have learned we have to reserve them BEFORE Thanksgiving or you may not get one or have to hope they get more large ones in.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I do not understand why Rockefeller center buys a tree every year. Seems like after 85 years or so they could have grown one instead.
    have you seen the add for the GMC pickup with a 5.5 foot bed. The owner is happy sleeping in it with his knees bent beyond 90 degrees so he can show horn in.

They were selling a throw back to tradition to make folks feel family warm and cozy. If they showed a grandma pulling cookies out of an old wood fired kitchen range, you or somebody would complain about the wood smoke emissions not being regulated and the hot exterior surfaces not complying with federal consumer standards, and how little ones should never be in the same area code as such things. And if they showed kids on a sled, some body would want safety belts and brakes and helmets. If they showed kids skating on a pond, somebody would want a government certification about the thickness and crush strength of the ice. I can remember fondly the annual trip to the country to a relatives's woods to pick ad cut some straggly looking tree. (My father now owns that woods) It was only 15 years ago, that I hitched a trailer to the 8n and the whole family rode out to the end of the farm and cut a tree from the ones I planted a decade earlier. What's next, banning Robert Frost poems, because the boys did not swing on their own birches. Or because he was trespassing when he stopped by the woods on a snowy evening. You Sir have been reading too much Joyce Kilmer.
    couldn't have said this better myself thumbs up we do need a like button
    I
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander