Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What was Ford thinking?

What was Ford thinking?

This morning I saw a Ford commercial that advertised one of it's vehicles that has off road capability. It showed a nice family in a festive holiday mood, in an SUV driving up a gravel road into the forest. Nice huh? Then the guy gets out and proceeds to chop down a Christmas tree and strap it on the top of the vehicle. During all this the announcer is extolling the virtues of doing this rather than going to local Christmas tree lot and picking out a tree which BTW, was grown for this purpose.

A couple of things wrong here. That probably isn't his property or his tree! Number two, we don't need to be encouraging people to go out in the woods and just start randomly chopping down trees!

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but we can't afford lose our trees. They provide heat, shelter, food, building materials, paper (all kinds, if you get my drift), and most importantly, Oxygen.

Just sayin........Bob
    Last edited by Bob Glenn; 11-25-2018 at 1:36 PM.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

No choir here. I agree with you.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I agree, the commercial I saw I think it was a woman with her daughter, so maybe there are two versions of that commercial. My first reaction was the same as yours. A better message would have been to go out and take a walk in the woods rather than play a video game on the couch at home.

I don't watch TV so I didn't see it, but Ford won't know what people think unless they tell them! Let 'em know what message some are getting!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chri...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Maybe they went here to get the tree. I think taking a child there is good.

Like someone said maybe there are two versions of that commercial.
    You know you are a woodworker when you notice a tree being chopped down but not that it is an attractive lady doing the chopping. LOL!!!
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    It seems this controversy is caused by the makers of the commercial not including any indication of the tree being harvested legally.

In Oregon there was a program of buying a permit from the Oregon Department of Forestry that allowed a person to cut down specified trees in select areas.

It looks like there is also a program with the USDA:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/desch...fsbdev3_035887

Maybe the real problem is people are not aware of programs allowing them to 'go on a hunt' for their Christmas tree.

Don't get me wrong, at first viewing this commercial also gave me a bit of an unpleasant feeling, as do most commercials with people behaving badly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    This morning I saw a Ford commercial that advertised one of it's vehicles that has off road capability. It showed a nice family in a festive holiday mood, in an SUV driving up a gravel road into the forest. Nice huh? Then the guy gets out and proceeds to chop down a Christmas tree and strap it on the top of the vehicle. During all this the announcer is extolling the virtues of doing this rather than going to local Christmas tree lot and picking out a tree which BTW, was grown for this purpose.

A couple of things wrong here. That probably isn't his property or his tree! Number two, we don't need to be encouraging people to go out in the woods and just start randomly chopping down trees!

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but we can't afford lose our trees. They provide heat, shelter, food, building materials, paper (all kinds, if you get my drift), and most importantly, Oxygen.

Just sayin........Bob
    Guys. Go easy. It's a commercial.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

You mean it's not real?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the ad. A woman cut it down?! I will have to look more carefully.

What bothers me the most was that it was a Ford commercial.

That was the most realistic artificial Christmas tree I ever seen!

My kids are all grown up and live all over the country now. When they were young we always bought a permit and went to the forest for the tree. There were six families that went together. We made a day of it with a cook out and all. The kids still remember those trips and every year it comes up. We even had snow and cold on a few trips. We had some interesting trees over the years, definitely not nursery trees. Wouldn't trade those memories. It did not save any money, usually a fairly long drive and as I remember the permit was not very cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    My kids are all grown up and live all over the country now. When they were young we always bought a permit and went to the forest for the tree. There were six families that went together. We made a day of it with a cook out and all. The kids still remember those trips and every year it comes up. We even had snow and cold on a few trips. We had some interesting trees over the years, definitely not nursery trees. Wouldn't trade those memories. It did not save any money, usually a fairly long drive and as I remember the permit was not very cheap.
    Sounds like it was pretty special times!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The best trees we had was when my boys went into the woods (on our own property) and brought back a Christmas tree... (notice I said best, not prettiest)... a lot of lights, bulbs, popcorn works wonders...