Thread: An Update From a 2015 Project

An Update From a 2015 Project

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That sure looks nice, massive, too. I'd be interested to hear how it fairs over the next year. It looks like you neglected to consider seasonal wood movement with the breadboard ends and angle iron banding; same with the cleats underneath. I hope I'm wrong and you did something clever to let the center panel in the top expand and contract.
    John
    John, was browsing some of my earlier project posts and rand across the above. Do you recall the steel banded table I made for my Sister and posted about in August of 2015. You indicated an interest in how it would fare.

It has been more than 3 years since it was built. This is a photo of it as of yesterday and to quote my sister, "I think it's doing great", in a text I got with the photo.
    image000000(1).jpg

From the original posting.
    IMG_1179.jpg

Would like to go see it myself but she is about 80miles north of me and I don't travel well anymore.

Anyway, what do you think. Really hard to tell there is any difference.

It has however stayed in an air-conditioned house and was built in an air-conditioned shop so maybe we got lucky. The timbers and wood used in it had been in my shop for several months so it was fairly well acclimated to air-conditioning.

"The best things in life are not things."

Hi James, I do indeed remember your table. Thanks very much for posting this update and the photos. Unfortunately, when I zoom in I can see cracks between several boards of the center panel, and even some splits in at least two of them, that weren't there when you first built the table. I actually expected more severe problems than this; maybe you are right about the AC keeping the expansion/contraction somewhat under control. And after this much time, as long the conditions remain similar it's probably not going to progress any further.

In my opinion, the table still looks good and it's not warped or twisted in any obvious way; it just has a little more character than before. In the end, if your sister is happy that's all that matters.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Hi James, I do indeed remember your table. Thanks very much for posting this update and the photos. Unfortunately, when I zoom in I can see cracks between several boards of the center panel, and even some splits in at least two of them, that weren't there when you first built the table. I actually expected more severe problems than this; maybe you are right about the AC keeping the expansion/contraction somewhat under control. And after this much time, as long the conditions remain similar it's probably not going to progress any further.

In my opinion, the table still looks good and it's not warped or twisted in any obvious way; it just has a little more character than before. In the end, if your sister is happy that's all that matters.

John
    It probably does have some new "stressing" but that is what she wanted to start with. Even if there were some creeping changes I doubt she would notice them being that she sees it everyday. I am sure I would get called on the carpet so to speak if there were sudden cracks or buckles. As you say, if she is happy that's what matters.

James why did you add the angle iron to the edge. I’ve never seen that before on a dining table.
    Aj

Question Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    James why did you add the angle iron to the edge. I’ve never seen that before on a dining table.
    Hi Andrew, sorry for the long delay in answering your question, doing most of my project posting on my J&J WoodSmithing Facebook page these days and don't get over here to SMC as often as I probably should. Anyway in answer to the "iron edge" question, it was at the request of my Sister. She had seen something similar someplace and asked me if I could do the same so of course I had to say yes. lol